Ideal substrate for a 55 gallon? Fluorite sand and EcoComplete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ideal substrate for a 55 gallon? Fluorite sand and EcoComplete?

I've been thinking about getting black sand for my 55 gallon but am worried about the anaerobic gas build up I've read about. Could I lay EcoComplete down first and a thin layer of black diamond blasting sand or Flourite sand over that without issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Why not just go with EC? It is black, and looks pretty good, IMO. Or, if you want fine, just go with sand. Enough to come above the rim a bit in the front, then a couple of inches deep in the back. Rocks or driftwood to hold it in place- these will tend to settle down and end up level.

Adding a finer material over a coarser won't last. The sand will sift though the larger pieces and end up on the bottom. Granted, this will take time. The more you disturb it with transplants the faster the materials will blend.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Why not just go with EC? It is black, and looks pretty good, IMO. Or, if you want fine, just go with sand. Enough to come above the rim a bit in the front, then a couple of inches deep in the back. Rocks or driftwood to hold it in place- these will tend to settle down and end up level.

Adding a finer material over a coarser won't last. The sand will sift though the larger pieces and end up on the bottom. Granted, this will take time. The more you disturb it with transplants the faster the materials will blend.

I like EC, but the only thing I dislike about it is I have a hard time getting some of my stem plants to stay planted. I had always read that you can't layer sand too deep and at one part of the tank I want it four or five inches deep. Will I have a problem with that?

Aquariums are portals that take you to worlds unseen by the human eye. Behold the planted aquariums.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Planted Member

I mixed flora max. flourite black, eco-complete and activ-flora in a 90. The flora max and eco-complete are dark gray, while the flourite black and activ-flora are black. The activ-flora is a shiny black and very small, but larger than the flourite black sand. It has been a year and the strata that were created pretty much stayed as original until I pull out a plant.

I kept some areas with the finer substrate in order to plant hair grass but had limited success.

Born a Pisces, Always a Pisces
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
smaller substrate particles will always find their way to the bottom of the pile. Layering sand over eco complete will really only result in the eventuality that your substrate will become eco complete over sand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 06:57 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just go with the black diamond. It works great. I have used it in two tanks with great results.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 07:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was looking to buy more eco-complete for my 75g then found the black diamond blasting sand thread and saw burr740's beautiful tank. I ended up buying one 50lb bag of blasting sand and have purchased another to add to it. For the price it can't be beat. Tractor Supply Co. had it on sale around here $8, but it's normally $8.50 before tax. Cheapest I could get a 20lb bag of eco-complete was $24 on amazon and I'm guessing I needed 2-3 more. I really like the look of the BDBS, and having some of the larger eco-complete mixed in looks very nice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode