Newbie confusion: shrimp tank substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie confusion: shrimp tank substrate

Hi everyone. I literally just joined and this is my first post. I am fairly new to the hobby and about to start my first shrimp tank. I currently have a 65 gallon fresh water that has been doing great. Anyways as for the shrimp tank I was told by a local pet store person to use CaribEco complete for the bottom layer and Fluval shrimp and plant substrate on top. I went by his word and bought both. Now after doing more in depth research (I've been planning this tank for about two months) it seems these products don't really go well together. My question is would anything happen if I used it as advised? I don't plan to put any shrimp in the tank for awhile. I want to let it cycle and make sure water parameters are where they should be for the types of shrimp I plan to keep. I do however plan to add some plants. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Both of these seem to be 'unpopular' in the hobby, at least on this site. Very few people use the Fluval. The Eco complete is popular, sorta, and I haven't heard poor things about it. Just make sure you're on top of the cycle and you'll be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Look up black diamond blasting sand on this site. I recently did and purchased some to cap off my eco-complete. I spent $8.50 instead of around $75. I plan on keeping shrimp in the tank so time will tell.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
BDBS works well with shrimp. They can scavenge through it well and it doesn't do any harm. I used that in my shrimp tank. Red Cherries are resilient shrimp and easy to maintain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Both of those are stand alone substrates and are not intended to be capped at all. The only substrate that should be capped is plain old dirt because it floats and muddies the water. The fluval substrate like aqua soil is an advanced form of dirt that doesn't need a cap. Ecocomplete is more or less soft rock which gives little benefit to a planted tank compared to soil based substrates.

If you really want to use both then I suggest you take a small sample of each and completely mix the two. Take a good look at the result and decide if that's how you want your tank to look in a year or so. Between settling, snails, and rearranging plants this is what will happen eventually.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode