Changing Amazonia help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Changing Amazonia help

I have a 33 breeder that has a two sections of substrate. One section has Amazonia and another section has sand. In the last few years the Amazonia has broken down and gotten everywhere. The Amazonia has mixed with the sand and is all over the plants and driftwood. it looks like a mess. I would like to get rid of all of the substrate and put in new sand in the whole tank. Any ideas of how to do this efficiently? Do I have to tear down the whole tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Best to tear down the whole tank, sift the blended substrate and see if you can separate sand from Amazonia, but I think it will not be worth it.
Buy new sand, or whatever other substrate you want.

When you do this your tank will lose whatever bacteria are on the substrate, perhaps as much as 25% of all the bacteria in the system, and the plants will not be up to removing ammonia etc for a little while. Add a bottle of Nitrospira as you are refilling the tank to boost the bacteria population.

If you want to try a partial job, then practice with your gravel vac, and see if it will remove the Amazonia without clogging too much. See what it will do where the sand and Amazonia have blended. If this will work, then get the sand ready (rinse well).
Remove as much as you can of the Amazonia, and sand.
Put the hew sand in a bottle with a narrow opening, such as a soda bottle (perhaps 1 liter or so, a tapering neck is excellent. Something like Jarritos or Crystal Geyser flavored, carbonated drinks). Put the bottle of sand in the tank, turn it upside down and allow the sand to fall out into the tank where you want it. As the water rushes it to take the place of the sand it will tend to keep the remaining cloudiness in the bottle. Not 100%, but this is a very good way to add sand with a minimum of clouding.
As above, I would add a bottle of Nitrospira to replace the bacteria you have removed with the substrate.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I think I will tear the tank down.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Good chance to rescape, too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode