My plan for substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My plan for substrate

So the stand for my 55 is worn out. I ended up at petsmart and bought the whole 60g tank and stand they had on sale. I want to transfer everything from the 55 over except for the substrate which is a crappy mix of 60 ponds of Eco complete and 40 pounds of Pfs. I was thinking about using just safe t sorb, but I I don't know how well it will hold up.

The plan is now a very thin layer of peat, then an inch of safe t sorb, then an inch of black diamond. Would this work?

Stock is 6 discus, Rams, four dwarf gourami, and a couple of bristle nose Plecos.
Plants are staurogen repens, downoi, Pygmy chain sword, a ton of various crypts, an ozelot sword, anubias, hygrophilia augustofolia, a couple of stems I bought unlabeled, and a ton of jungle Val's.

Lights are two finnex planted plus 24/7
Pressurized co2
Dosing is not happening atm
Osmocote plus tabs every 2-3 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you try layers, it won't stay that way. When you transplant the plants, this will mix up the substrate.
STS is lightweight, and the black diamond sand will sift through the STS and end up at the bottom.
Rams dig, and this also mixes the substrate.
Peat is also lightweight. A thin trace is not a problem, but if there is more it will drift around the tank, then settle out on the leaves and all other surfaces in the tank.

I have used Safe-T-Sorb, Soil Master Select, and Turface. All of these are the same basic material- Montmorillonite clay.
They hold up well. I have redone a few tanks, salvaging the substrate and reusing it. It does need some rinsing.
Whenever I have added sand, Eco Complete or pebbles these materials sink through the montmorillonite clay. These materials will remove the carbonates from the water. KH drops to 0 very quickly. When I was doing the fishless cycle on a tank with new STS I had to keep adding carbonates to keep the bacteria thriving.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What about hydro pebbles or hydro corn?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode