Mineralized Topsoil Q - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mineralized Topsoil Q

So I'm starting to make some mineralized top soil for a 2.5 gallon emersed planted tank I'm bringing to college with me. I've got the top soil, and I've got the dolomite (actually oolite or some other crushed carbonate sand I used in my reef tanks). However, I'm not sure where to find KCl, nor iron rich clay. Where would I go about finding these things in person? What brands do you recommend?

I found this red clay, "Amaco Mexican Self-hardening clay" on the walmart site, does anybody have +- reviews for it? KCl, I can understand, but dirt...dirt, I just don't understand at all!

The topsoil I got said it had sphagnum moss, as well as composted wood products. Is that okay?

Finally, my mom told me to get a bag of vermiculite. Should I incorporate it since it's so good for land plants?

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Vermiculite is a pain as a substrate. It is very light, so it floats, and it never gets waterlogged enough to not float. I tried it many years ago for the same reasons you mentioned, and never stopped regretting it.

Personally, when I use mineralized topsoil as a substrate I use soil I dig up outdoors. The point is to save money and have a fertile substrate. "Topsoil" you buy in bags isn't really topsoil. It is a mix of partially mulched wood products, manure, and any number of other non-soil stuff. Real, dug from the ground, topsoil works very well and costs nothing at all.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
KCl they sell as potash at plant nurseries. It should come as pink granules. Amaco brand Mexican Self-hardening clay is the clay to use as long as it's all natural.

The peat and composted wood products might take a while to break down if you do the wet dry cycles. Personally, I'd take Hoppy's advice and mineralize topsoil dug from an area that hasn't been exposed to pesticides or herbicides.

Vermiculite should be avoided since it floats. It's useful for water retention in terrestrial setups though.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Back in the 90's when I tried vermiculite in my substrate it was recommended only if you took the considerable time needed to "massage" it under water to break up the big particles into fine particles, rubbing the water into the particles. I did that, but wasn't as thorough as I could have been. The random large particles were floating up for 3 years after that. Perhaps it was a good additive in the substrate, but it has been many years since I have seen anyone recommend using it.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I used it once as a media for Pinguicula. When I hydrated it, pieces of it would break causing an explosion of gold colored flakes in the water I used to rinse it. I could imagine an aquarium looking like the contents of a Goldschlager bottle if vermiculite flakes ended up in the water column.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
OK, so no vermiculite, got it.

So when it comes to the actual mineralization process, why don't you just spritz a layer of dirt with water daily since the soil mineralizes the most when it's moist and exposed to air? Aside from washing away any fertilizers of course.

Additionally, will old potting soil work? I guess I'd need to rinse it more due to added fertilizers, but it should still work the same way, right?

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.

Last edited by ichthyogeek; 12-21-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: new question
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I prefer using a hose since I make large batches but spritzing it should work. Just moisten the soil until it's the consistency of mud then wait until it's dry again to rehydrate. You should turn over the soil between drying to make sure all of it is mineralized equally.

Depends on the composition of the potting soil. If it has a lot of aggregates, both organic and inorganic, you will have to sift it first.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode