Can you use cleaned beach sand for sparkling gourami? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you use cleaned beach sand for sparkling gourami?

Just curious.. I'd cleaned and re cleaned some for a betta tank but them read about SOME betta eating it.. so dumped it ..
but now have 2 sparkling gourami that did not work in my community 20 gal that I am trying to set up in their own nano tank..
and this is one of the things easily obtained here for substrate.

20g long with Otos, Corydoras Pygmaeus, RCS and Nerites

2.6 gal nano planted Sparkling gourami breeding tank

2 gal planted Betta Splendens tank

10 g planted with Sparkling Gourami fry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't know betta well enough to save for sure but I might warn you that you can read a dire warning on just about any aspect of keeping fish. That leaves me to wonder how serious the threat of a fish eating too much sand really works out to be. In the real world thinking, would there not be a lot of dead bettas since sand is almost universal?
Could happen but I can also see lots of reports of fish death from folks who totally miss the true cause. Sand is very common in tanks and that is the first I've heard of it being a hazard to fish. More checking needed before I believe?

On the question of beach sand, I personally do not bother. It can be cleaned and it can work but then I tend to go the easy route if it costs very little. I find natural sand has lots of different sizes and all kinds of things mixed in. That makes it pretty slow and tedious to clean up so I go for pool filter sand as a pretty cheap way to cut out a lot of work and know far more what I get at the end. Pool filter sand is easy and pretty cheap since it is graded very closely on size and content.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm with @PlantedRich. So many people here use some type of sand and I have never seen a caveat for betta when it is recommended but I have to admit I have no experience with betta.

As far as beach sand I dont see why it would not work but I would sterilize it before use especially if it is a public beach. Weve all seen the stories about syringes and other waste washing up on the beach.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yes, I've used beach sand before. I just rinsed with water and bleach solution to kill everything. Then decholorinator and heavy rinsing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would not use beach sand unless it was from a freshwater beach. If you use sand from the ocean in freshwater it will raise the PH and KH rapidly.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I would not use beach sand unless it was from a freshwater beach. If you use sand from the ocean in freshwater it will raise the PH and KH rapidly.
I didnt even think about the salt being dissolved in it either.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I had cleaned it a million times then bleached then cleaned a million more times.. then used Prime on it when I was trying it for the betta.
It is from the actual ocean / beach but my water here is pretty soft so I thought it would be ok? Plus I thought a bit of salt wouldn't bother gourami or betta? Still not sure if I'll do it as it's super super fine. and yeah it's a pain to clean. but I've had tanks before with fine sand.. just not THIS fine. And I mainly thought about this for now as not sure how long it will take me to get other sand or substrate if I order it right now.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm betting Port A has a good number of pool stores close around?
I would not worry about the salt at all. The ocean may seem salty when we taste it but it's not very salty compared to some of the salt content in meds or when we use it to treat ich. Only in very special use would that amount be a problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Beach sand can be almost 100% quartzite, almost 100% coral, or anything in between. Quartzite is fine, but coral raises the KH continually. Pool filter sand has to be relatively clean, almost uniform, and not adversely affect the pH/KH of the water, so it is ideal if you want plain sand. Play sand contains lots of very fine particles, which are not desirable. Blasting grit, like black diamond, has uniform particles, is relatively clean, and is not quartz or coral, so it is generally good. But many people have used many different sands and had good success with them.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode