• 2 Post By houseofcards
  • 2 Post By Diana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Substrate Question

Hello all,

I'm setting up a 100G tall aquarium tomorrow. I ordered 7 bags of Flourite a week ago. Well it came in today and when I opened all the packages they had sent me Eco Complete. To my knowledge Eco Complete really has no nutrients to it and is basically lave rock. Was wondering what You all think about picking up a bag or 2 and mixing it with the Eco Complete. This tank is for my father who will most likely not be dosing the tank, so a nutrient rich substrate was more what I was looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
They both are essentially the same thing, ADA amazonia and real soil are nutrient-rich, however, flourite and eco-complete are inert with high CEC, which means that they can take nutrients in from the water column and root tabs, and make them available to roots.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I was under the impression that it was nutrient rich. According to Seachems website it is full of nutrients which vary depending on which one you use. I mean I know its not aquasoil which most would consider "nutrient rich".

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Like @sohankpatel said they're essentially the same. Inert, but able to store nutrients in times of excess, and then later make them available to plants in times of low concentrations in the water.

You can make it more nutritious for your plants by putting some slow release fertilizer like Osmocote plus in the bottom layer.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
I think it's ironic how products that are called Flourish Comprehensive and Eco-Complete are marketed to the planted tank community as complete products.
sohankpatel and sohankpatel like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I think it's ironic how products that are called Flourish Comprehensive and Eco-Complete are marketed to the planted tank community as complete products.
If you are a newbie, it must be rough without any knowledge or a forum to help you out.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Flourite and Eco Complete are 'full of nutrients' the same way your stone ware dinner plate supplies you with minerals.

If you physically and chemically break down the particles you will find they are made of dozens of minerals. Almost all the elements we know are in there.
But they are so tightly bound to each other that they are not available to the plants.

My wooden desk has lots of oxygen in it, too, but I would have a hard time breathing it.

So... you were sent the wrong product.

a) Do you like the product color and texture?

b) Are they the same price?

(Yes... yes...) Then keep it and add slow release tablets.

Otherwise complain, and get the right product, or a partial or full refund.
Daisy Mae and Daisy Mae like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Flourite and Eco Complete are 'full of nutrients' the same way your stone ware dinner plate supplies you with minerals.

If you physically and chemically break down the particles you will find they are made of dozens of minerals. Almost all the elements we know are in there.
But they are so tightly bound to each other that they are not available to the plants.

My wooden desk has lots of oxygen in it, too, but I would have a hard time breathing it.

So... you were sent the wrong product.

a) Do you like the product color and texture?

b) Are they the same price?

(Yes... yes...) Then keep it and add slow release tablets.

Otherwise complain, and get the right product, or a partial or full refund.
I do tend to like Eco-Complete as I have it in one of my tanks. But I also dose my tank and i feel its downfall is how hard it is to plant in. I actually paid $13 a bag for the Flourite and they charge $25 a bag for Eco-Complete. So if they do the dame thing than I'll hold onto what they sent me. Maybe I'll just throw some dirt in.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

EC will work as a cap for a dirted tank, but will your father be OK with a dirted tank?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
How tall is the 100G tank? What are you planning to do? It sounds like you want to keep it simple. I would just go with the Eco, Low-light, easy growing plants
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:25 AM
Planted Member

stuff is growing really well in my tank with just pool filter sand. 50lb bags for $7 each is pretty hard to beat.

Is there really that big of a difference when using other substrates out side of color/look?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
How tall is the 100G tank? What are you planning to do? It sounds like you want to keep it simple. I would just go with the Eco, Low-light, easy growing plants
The tank is 30 inches tall. I wanted really just to get him some hardy easy to grow plants like val, crypts and sag. I was also in need of some possible lighting recommendations if anyone has any for such a tall tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
EC will work as a cap for a dirted tank, but will your father be OK with a dirted tank?
Yeah he'll be okay with it as I actually has already prepared some dirt for the tank. I will most likely be the one to do all the maintenance to the tank anyway.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I am moving to Safe-T-Sorb from Tractor Supply.
$5.99 for 40lbs. and pre-charging the substrate.
Looks good but we shall see.

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode