Fertilizing substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilizing substrate?

I will be setting up a 125 gallon planted tank within the next couple of weeks and I wanted to know if I should I place fertizers like jobes sticks or root tabs underneath my substrate (100% flourite) when I initially lay the flourite down or should I wait for the plants to show signs that they need to be fertilized and then place tabs underneath them? Also If I do fertilize on the initial setup how many and how far apart should the sticks be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 10:22 PM
mpb
Planted Member

IMO, you should not put the fert tabs when you lay the substrate.
First, not all plants need these fertilizes, only root feeders, like sword, will take advantage of the tabs. I only add these tabs near the plants that actually need them.
Second, you need to wait for the tank to age a little before adding any king of ferts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 02:40 PM

Well, I do agree that you shouldn't use root ferts when you add substrate. It's better to use root ferts to 'spot fertilize' where you plant your plants.

However, nearly every plant can take in nutrients from both the substrate and the water column. some plants, like swords are HEAVY root feeders, and should have root tabs put under then when planted, and new tabs added every 1-2 months (depending on what type of tabs you have).

If you can't get aquatic plant root tabs, and have to use Jobes, make CERTAIN you use the jobe's for Lush Palms and Ferns...and that you break each stick into 3-4 pieces, an use 1 piece per plant, and bury them deeply.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpb
IMO, you should not put the fert tabs when you lay the substrate.
First, not all plants need these fertilizes, only root feeders, like sword, will take advantage of the tabs. I only add these tabs near the plants that actually need them.
This isn't really true. Like Malkore pointed out, all plants can take in nutrients from the substrate. I even spot fertilize some more delicate stem plants that have a tendency to stunt from time to time (E. Stelleta, L. Pantanal, etc) and those stem plants definately benefit from substrate fertilizing. I find them to be much bigger, and lusher due to adding plant tabs. Substrate ferts gives you a good back-up incase you forget to fertilize one day, or your tank ate up too many nutrients from the water column that day. I'm about to just end up buying one of those plant tab presses from plantguild and making my own tabs like Curt at plantgeek does. Can't find jobes, and these flourish tabs are expensive for multiple tanks.

Matt
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 04:48 PM

Yep I have a root tab kit too, but i still have 2 dozen of curt's pellets to use up.

I find a tab under crypts help keep them from melting as much when transplanting, and vals really do better with substrate ferts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode