Should I replace my AquaSoil after 7 years? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Should I replace my AquaSoil after 7 years?

I just temporarily tore down my 46g while I paint the room it is in. I've been using AquaSoil Amazonia. It's been 7 years since I set it up, and the AS was only minimally cleaned during that time. I've rinsed it (it was really dirty). It seems to be in good shape, although I was surprised it still clouds the water.

I was wondering if there is any reason to replace it. I'm not looking for any of the benefits you get with AS during the 1st year. I guess I'm asking if there is any concern with AS this old, like it will start disintegration, or has very little long term nutrient value compared with other substrates. I don't want to spend $100+ just to get something that might be a little better.

I have a med-high light tank, DIY CO2, and mostly just low light plants (Anubias, Crypts, Aponogeton), and fertilize daily using the EI method. I've also used Flourite and Eco Complete in other smaller tanks I have. I'd likely go with one of those if I was going to dump the AS.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 01:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My aquasoil seemingly degraded right out of the bag, so I'm amazed that you have gotten 7 years of life. I really regret buying ADA aquasoil, never again.

After 7 years, I suspect the nutrient content is gone. If you like the look and its still in good shape, keep the substrate, throw in some root tabs (osmocote) if you are worried about nutrient content, and continue forwards with life.

Also, any ferts into the water column are where your plants are actually getting their nutrients from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yeah, when I first bought this AS, it was somewhat in the early days, and I recall a lot of people complaining that it instantly turned to mud when water was added. Seems there were a lot of bad batches. I never had any of these issues. I think I'll just stick with it. Maybe add some fert tabs, although I use EI also and for the most part the plants seem fine with just that. I think the one sword I have could use the fert tabs. It's been barely clinging to life the past few years. I remember with fresh AS is grew like crazy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode