What substrate for planted 40 breeder? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What substrate for planted 40 breeder?

Hey guys I have a 40gallon breeder that I want to make a planted tank. What substrate would you recommend, and how much of it do you think I would need to get 2in deep substrate? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

What fish are you planning on? nothing that will disturb the substrate too much?
Ie is this primarily a plant tank with fish, or a fish tank with plants?

What plants? do you want to put carpeting plants in?

Do you want light coloured or dark substrate?

Choices, choices, help us narrow down suggestions...

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
What fish are you planning on? nothing that will disturb the substrate too much?
Ie is this primarily a plant tank with fish, or a fish tank with plants?

What plants? do you want to put carpeting plants in?

Do you want light coloured or dark substrate?

Choices, choices, help us narrow down suggestions...

I would like dark substrate. I will have predatory fish. 3 Leopard Bushfish and 1-2 Bichirs. These will not be full grown and I will move them when they outgrow the tank. I have one Leopard bushfish in another tank and I love to watch him stalk his prey using the plants in that tank, so I would like to set something for just that. I would love a carpeting plant, I was thinking dwarf sag as I have been told the do not need lots of light. I plan to use flourish excel, but no other C02. The tank has an emperor 400 HOB on it. Thanks!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Have you seen @Freemananana's 75 gallon with dwarf sag and crypts? He uses black diamond blasting sand. With osmocote underneath IIRC.

I just used finer sand as a substrate for the first time last night, fluorite black sand for pearl weed. I now appreciate the ease of inserting small plants into finer sand. It was a PITA to wash though, It seemed very silty almost. It was only a very small amount (enough for a 2-gallon vase with small bottom). If I had to do it again, I would use a slightly coarser sand. I would have gone for the BDBS if I didn't have to buy such a large bag.

Daisy Mae V
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Have you seen @Freemananana's 75 gallon with dwarf sag and crypts? He uses black diamond blasting sand. With osmocote underneath IIRC.

I just used finer sand as a substrate for the first time last night, fluorite black sand for pearl weed. I now appreciate the ease of inserting small plants into finer sand. It was a PITA to wash though, It seemed very silty almost. It was only a very small amount (enough for a 2-gallon vase with small bottom). If I had to do it again, I would use a slightly coarser sand. I would have gone for the BDBS if I didn't have to buy such a large bag.

I looked up osmocote. The one that I saw said it was good for 6months. Do you then have to remove your substrate and replace it after 6 months or what do you do?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

You just stick more osmocote in. The usual recommendation is to put more every 4-6 months.

Tweezers, or a cut off syringe helps. Some people sell it pre-packaged into gel capsules, or make their own. The gelatin eventually dissolves, no worries there.

Sometimes the old pellets make their way to the surface, you can just pick it off.

It's the osmocote PLUS that's most often recommended, it has trace elements in it.

Daisy Mae V
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I make my own gel capsules now. A huge thing of O+ is $15 and 1000 00 size gel capsules is like $5. So it is a life time of root tabs for $20. I just sprinkled a very little amount of O+ on the glass before pouring my substrate in.

EDIT:

TO answer the original question: Black diamond blasting sand, 2 bags ($15) and root tabs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I make my own gel capsules now. A huge thing of O+ is $15 and 1000 00 size gel capsules is like $5. So it is a life time of root tabs for $20. I just sprinkled a very little amount of O+ on the glass before pouring my substrate in.

EDIT:

TO answer the original question: Black diamond blasting sand, 2 bags ($15) and root tabs.
+1 this is what I use. I recently hit the ~5-6 month mark and noticed deficiencies because my osmocote ran out. Just shoved in some more capsules last week and am already seeing everything bounce back to the way it was.

Can't beat the combo for cost/effectiveness/ease of use. Dirt capped with BDBS is also a good option but dirt is a little more work and can get a tad messy. Either way you will have success. BDBS is the best substrate I have ever used to plant in and it is great for foreground plants if you're going that route.

If you are looking to spend $$$ just get ADA aquasoil. It is regarded as the best by many people. I personally have never used it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post

EDIT:

Thanks I will for sure look into that. Is there a specific brand on BDBS you recommend? I ask because I have noticed before where that can matter. I typically use PFS for substrate, and in one tank I have bought a different brand PFS than I usually use because I needed it quickly and could not get a hold of the other. Anyways the bag said it was PFS and 100% silica, but it started buffering my PH very high very quickly.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
black diamond is the brand. haha. Blasting sand is generally inert.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hahahaha ohhh ok my fault! Sounds good i will look for that then thanks!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
sorry to hijack the thread but is there a grain size in particular or there's only one grain size on the black diamond blasting sand. if so which size is better or recommended? ty

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode