Compacted substrate? How to fix? MTS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Compacted substrate? How to fix? MTS?

My blyxa used to send out big roots into the substrate and anchored very well. Now it literally does not even try to send roots down. I have to re-plant lots of floating blyxa like every day and it sucks.

I am thinking it is because the soil may be compacted?

Will getting a ton of MTS to churn through help this out? Is there another way to remedy this problem?

Tank is about 6 months old with BDBS substrate. Initially I had peppered the substrate with osmocote +. I am rather reluctant to think that the lack of nutrients in the substrate are the cause of this problem but if others disagree with that then I may have more than one issue on my hands...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Compaction of substrate depends upon particle size and specific gravity. Smaller particle sizes will increase compaction as will the higher specific gravity of the material. I don't expect that to be a case with BDBS substrate as neither the particle size is fine or the specific gravity is high.

You should look elsewhere for answer to your non-rooting blyxa.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
Compaction of substrate depends upon particle size and specific gravity. Smaller particle sizes will increase compaction as will the higher specific gravity of the material. I don't expect that to be a case with BDBS substrate as neither the particle size is fine or the specific gravity is high.

You should look elsewhere for answer to your non-rooting blyxa.
Not sure on the exact science involved, but it does seem unlikely for that blasting sand to really compact much, if at all.

You could grab a skewer or something and start poking around in the substrate a bit just to see if you get gas pockets and/or sort of loosen things up a bit.

A lack of nutrients seems like a good possibility if you've not added any sort of fertilizer to that substrate in 6 months. I've never used root tabs but know they dont last indefinitely.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I had a trumpet snail population in one of my tanks. Wild caught in LA.
I also had regular vals in that tank. They started floating up and I noticed that
they had no roots. I went by the tank a couple of hrs after dark and noticed
that the trumpet snails were on the glass and I didn't realize that there were so
many of them. In the gravel till dark apparently. The Vals were doing fine till I
put those trumpet snails in there. About 2 months after I put them in this started.
Worth looking into.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I had a trumpet snail population in one of my tanks. Wild caught in LA.
I also had regular vals in that tank. They started floating up and I noticed that
they had no roots. I went by the tank a couple of hrs after dark and noticed
that the trumpet snails were on the glass and I didn't realize that there were so
many of them. In the gravel till dark apparently. The Vals were doing fine till I
put those trumpet snails in there. About 2 months after I put them in this started.
Worth looking into.
What kind of substrate / how long was the tank up w/the vals before they started to struggle?

I would be willing to wager that the trumpet snails were not the cause of your issues. Most likely a similar problem to what I am seeing though...

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)
Blyxa has a habit of poor growth all of a sudden,short roots and lifting out of the substrate being the symptoms. Your substrate probably isn't the problem.I have 2 species of blyxa and both are currently doing the same as yours

clogwood

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode