JBL AquaBasis - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GraemeK
JBL AquaBasis

Hi,

I decided to replace my substrate last night with a far better nutrient rich one.

I went for the JBL AquaBasis as this was all i could find but looks a lot more like sandy compost. I placed probably a 2-3cm thick layer at the bottom of the tank and covered with some gravel to stop it escaping!

How long should i leave the tank before i start to add liquid fert? the tank has been up and running for about 3 months so its all the same water, plants, fish etc... I have Crypt Nevillii planted in it mainly which are root feeders and also some Java fern and moss on a lump of drift wood.

I imagine the substrate is good enough for a while before i add any but will the java fern etc suffer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 02:26 PM

Thats good stuff. Just wait until your plants roots sniff it out, they grow like crazy !!!
Doesn't affect when you will need to add liquid ferts though. The aquabasis will provide nutrients to your rooted plants only. Stem plants and Java Ferns need their nutrients in the water column.
If you have hard water like me, you won't need to use any liquid ferts as there are enough macro and micro nutrients in the tap water.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My tap water is mega hard!

I do add feed to my larger tank but thats fed by pressurized CO2, 60watts of light.

If this aquanasis does a good job in making my cyrpts grow then i'll strip down the main tank one afternoon and fill that up with aquabasis too!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:20 PM

I would try without the ferts, my setup is similar to yours - just less than 2WPG with pressurised CO2, Aquabasis and hard water. All of my plants grow really well and I'm trimming, chopping and throwing away tonnes of plants each week. I have some JBL Pro Flora and have tried it a couple of times to see what would happen, but it's made no difference. I'm sure if there was more light, then I would need to add more ferts but at this light level they do exceptionally well with just the traces in the tap water.
Saves you money too !!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well i went all out tonight and bought anothr two bags of aqua basis and added it to my main tank. took me ages to strip the tank down and fill it up etc.

hopefully now my crypts will go mad! we'll see.

another quick question...

i'll be keeping my lights on for 10 hours and my CO2 at about 25ppm. I'll also be adding NO3 every few days to keep it around 5ppm and adding flourish twice a week for the macro nutrients.

what about iron? i have liquid iron in a bottle. should i dose this twice a week with the macro's or only add iron when the plants look as though they need it?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just a quickie here...

this compost like substrate is supposed to absorb nutrients and release them when needed does this mean it should last for a long time or do these substrates have a life span? I'm dosing ferts twice a week at half dose, just wondered!

thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

anyone.............?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 12:44 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sorry I for one have no experience with that substrate. Could you describe it a little more for us 'blokes 'cross the pond.' Conjecture would be forthcoming then.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i see!

ok then. Its very much like a sandy compost like texture which i believe is clay based. its very fine and has a browny colour to it. When i felt it it felt like a mixture of sand,soil and clay. I know it says it retains nutrients and releases them as needed. I think it would be easy for roots to work through. you have to cover it with gravel which i did.

being a soil like texture and the fact that they say it will absorb nutrients i'm guessing this means it will last a while... but i'm not sure.

HERE IS WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT IT:
Contains all essential nutrients such as iron, minerals and trace elements.
The clay particles act as a nutrient store, binding excess nutrients and releasing as required.

Does not require mixing with gravel.
Does not contain nitrates and phosphates which promote the growth of algae.

JBL Aquabasis plus plus contains the full range of vital nutrients as well as iron and trace elements which aquarium plants need for healthy and strong growth. These nutrients are provided in depot form and are fully accessible and available to the root of the plants. JBL AquaBasis plus promotes rapid rooting and results in healthy and strong root development.
Use
The contents of the bag are sufficient for setting up a 100 litre aquarium (approx. 80 x 35 x 40 cm). Use more for larger aquariums. Spread AquaBasis plus in an even layer of about 2 cm thickness at the bottom of the aquarium (contents sufficient for approx. 100 l). Place a 4 cm layer of washed gravel with a grain size of 2-3 cm on top. Do not use any larger sized gravel! When filling the tank with water use a flat plate, a panel of glass or another flat object held under the water jet to prevent the gravel from chuming up and clouding the water. The aquarium can now be stocked with plants.
JBL Tip

Our recommendation as ideal supplement for AquaBasis plus and for specially healthy and lush growth of your plants

* Add JBL Ferropol or Ferrotabs at regular intervals to your aquarium water to supply your plants with iron and trace elements through the leaves.
* Fertilise the plants with CO2 and adjust pH around the ideal value of 7 with the JBL PROFLORA CO2 System

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode