substrate for bigger fish/planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
substrate for bigger fish/planted tank?

Hi guys im looking at starting my 1st planted tank! will be 5ft by 30inch by 24inch and have few bigger fish in with plants!

whot would be best substrate for bigger fish as may get disturbed when feeding/fighting!

looking at hardy plants also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
What kind of fish?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
What kind of fish?
Iv got 3 cichla (peacock bass) 7-9 inch and few others later if plants are ok

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You need to research the fish. Fish that dig or make nest will cloudy up the tank on
you no matter what the sub unless you use no plants and vacuum the gravel regularly.
But Black Diamond(coal slag) Blasting sand from Tractor supply is about $12 for 40#
bag of it. Fairly popular for a sub.
Comes in grades(sizes of grains) so you should put "What grade do you prefer for
Black Diamond Blasting sand?" in the sub section.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
You need to research the fish. Fish that dig or make nest will cloudy up the tank on
you no matter what the sub unless you use no plants and vacuum the gravel regularly.
But Black Diamond(coal slag) Blasting sand from Tractor supply is about $12 for 40#
bag of it. Fairly popular for a sub.
Comes in grades(sizes of grains) so you should put "What grade do you prefer for
Black Diamond Blasting sand?" in the sub section.
Hi mate and don't need to research fish as iv got 9 large peacock bass and 6 in a 5ft by 30 by 30 tank with black sand and artificial plants! They don't dig or sift sand to be fair mate! do move a little when fighting but its fine sand!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hi Johnny, if you already have the sand and it's fine with the fish then you don't have to change it for planting. Just put some root zone fertilizers in and you're good to go, unless you plant some nutrient hogs. Those would probably benefit from adding fertilizers to the water (you can skip the buried fertilizer if you prefer to fertilize the water column instead).

If the plants are not staying anchored you can try putting some stones around the bases to help keep them anchored.

Another option is fine gravel or coarse sand, also with root or water ferts.

I see you mentioned Eco-complete in the other thread? Would be ok too, just potentially more expensive if you're good with that. Added bonus is the high CEC which the plants can benefit from.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Hi Johnny, if you already have the sand and it's fine with the fish then you don't have to change it for planting. Just put some root zone fertilizers in and you're good to go, unless you plant some nutrient hogs. Those would probably benefit from adding fertilizers to the water (you can skip the buried fertilizer if you prefer to fertilize the water column instead).

If the plants are not staying anchored you can try putting some stones around the bases to help keep them anchored.

Another option is fine gravel or coarse sand, also with root or water ferts.

I see you mentioned Eco-complete in the other thread? Would be ok too, just potentially more expensive if you're good with that. Added bonus is the high CEC which the plants can benefit from.
Thanks for reply! iv got the fish in a fish only tank at the minute! but seting up another tank to split them up as fighting really bad sometimes" and iv always wonted a nice monsterfish/live plant setup And maybe a eco complete and black sand over the top would look good! That's a good idea to anchor plants down with stone or maybe a nice purple slate!

these are few of the fish!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

He, he, those are monster fish all right.

Ref your plans to cap Eco-complete with sand, just be aware that over time, re-planting etc. the finer granules end up at the bottom, larger on top. Eyes wide open, so to speak.

Purple slate pieces would be cool, I think.
jonny cichla and jonny cichla like this.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice! What types of Cichla do you got!?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Nice! What types of Cichla do you got!?
iv got 4 cichla kelberi (Bahia gold) and 5 cichla orinocoensis"
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Anubias tied to some driftwood would be a good place to start. Maybe some vals around the perimeter.

I don't know personally about peacock bass, but lots of cichla re-arrange things and tend to be territorial. This could be frustrating as your first planted tank.

Do you have room for another tank? Maybe try keeping some crypts in a clay pot so they don't get pulled up. Large fish moving quickly make a lot of disturbance. Even if they are not diggers, you will likely have damaged or uprooted plants.

I feel you though. I am keeping a 16" fire eel in my planted tank. I am VERY thankful he's calm 99.9% of the time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jonny cichla and jonny cichla like this.

Never show anyone your true potential. If you do, they will always expect it.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Plants attached to driftwood such as anubias, java fern and mosses are a good start. Perimeter plants such as the mentioned vals are a good idea. Other than that, try something with deep roots such as swords that will be a bit more resilient to being removed. Amazon swords have huge root systems when established. This would require you to have a 'plant tank' for awhile without fish while the roots spread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny cichla View Post
Very cool! Mind if I draw them?

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstehman View Post
Anubias tied to some driftwood would be a good place to start. Maybe some vals around the perimeter.

I don't know personally about peacock bass, but lots of cichla re-arrange things and tend to be territorial. This could be frustrating as your first planted tank.

Do you have room for another tank? Maybe try keeping some crypts in a clay pot so they don't get pulled up. Large fish moving quickly make a lot of disturbance. Even if they are not diggers, you will likely have damaged or uprooted plants.

I feel you though. I am keeping a 16" fire eel in my planted tank. I am VERY thankful he's calm 99.9% of the time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Don't know if large clay pots will look good buddy! May try plants tied to nice shaped wood thow! maybe some big amazon swords up back of tank!

Fire eels are cool

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Plants attached to driftwood such as anubias, java fern and mosses are a good start. Perimeter plants such as the mentioned vals are a good idea. Other than that, try something with deep roots such as swords that will be a bit more resilient to being removed. Amazon swords have huge root systems when established. This would require you to have a 'plant tank' for awhile without fish while the roots spread.
Sounds good if I can have lots of tall amazon swords up the back" whot about mid tank plants? and I love those tiny carpet plants that cover the whole floor of tank! Are these a tuff plant?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

I just started a 130G planted tank and used Eco Complete. Its pricing but the plants take to it really quickly, and its a live bacteria substrate so the tank cycled very quickly when planted which is a great plus! I have 3 balas, which will get really large, Rope fish, rainbow shark, and a couple angels and they love it. Getting the fish while smaller helps so the plants have better time to root before larger fish get in there. Just make sure not to get anything that loves to dig.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode