Petco black sand vs Caribsea sand for Cories? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Petco black sand vs Caribsea sand for Cories?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone had some input about using the petco black sand with cories. I searched through the threads on here and found some discussions, but I'm specifically wondering if the petco sand is fine enough for the cories compared to caribsea sand.

The reason is that I have the cories in a temporary tank with the white Caribsea All Naturals sand and they are having an absolute blast with it. They dive face first into it and I can see them sifting the sand through their gills, even my tiny panda cory.

They are eventually going to be moved to a 55g tank that I am getting together and I purchased the petco black sand for this tank. However the grain size seems a little larger and after watching my cories enjoy the other sand so much I am worried that they will not like the petco sand as much. Does anyone have cories with this sand? Do they play in it the same way?

Any feedback welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have cories in my tank with medium grit blasting sand. They dig through it, skim across the surface, and enjoy it from what I can see. Never had a problem. I can't imagine petco sand would be worse than blasting sand. They will be fine.
burr740 and burr740 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I too keep corydoras over 20/40 grit Black diamond blasting media with no issues.
Tractor supply carries it.
Is much cheaper than petco sand or Carib sea at around eight dollar's for 50 lb bag.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's great guys. I have heard lots about the black blasting sand. I chickened out because I saw the grain for the petco sand looked nice and rounded but the blasting sand a little sharper. Although I hear that tons of people on here use it and love it.

I have a tractor supply near me that sells Black Diamond medium and fine blasting abrasive.

Is this what people are using? I know people use it but I can't help being nervous :S
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've got Pygmy Corys on Black Diamond and they sift through and peck food out of it and their barbells are in fantastic shape!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
+1 for blasting sand. I have the medium grade in 4 different tanks with various cories. They're all pictures of health and seem to love it.

After using it for going on 2 years now, paying aquarium brand prices for plain sand seems positively insane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sounds good. I think I'll give it a go!!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
Just be sure to rinse it well first. I do a portion at a time, rinse/pour/repeat, 2-3 times until the dust mostly goes away. You can tell when it's getting clean.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so they have both the medium and fine blasting sand.

I can see how the 20/40 looks like the petco size but actually think I would like it a bit smaller.

Does the finer one, 30/60 also work well? I guess the only concern would be if its so light it kicks up all the time. I am also planting the tank but have stems and DHG in the fine caribsea sand that does well.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshayde View Post
Ok so they have both the medium and fine blasting sand.

I can see how the 20/40 looks like the petco size but actually think I would like it a bit smaller.

Does the finer one, 30/60 also work well? I guess the only concern would be if its so light it kicks up all the time. I am also planting the tank but have stems and DHG in the fine caribsea sand that does well.
From what I've read the Petco black sand is a little too small and therefore gets blow around easily and makes a mess if it gets disturbed. The 20/40 BDBM is just heavy enough and coarse enough to hold plants in decently. I had trouble getting some of my Dwarf Sag to stay until it rooted.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmmmmm. Now I'm unsure. Maybe I'll decide once I see it. Well at least its only $8 a bag, its only a 55g tank so even if I make a mistake its not that big a deal.

Although the petco black sand I got is much bigger than the white carib sea sand I have
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshayde View Post
Hmmmmm. Now I'm unsure. Maybe I'll decide once I see it. Well at least its only $8 a bag, its only a 55g tank so even if I make a mistake its not that big a deal.

Although the petco black sand I got is much bigger than the white carib sea sand I have
I don't really think you can go wrong either way to be honest. But for a 55g you're going to save some $$ going with the Black Diamond. I chose the Black Diamond because of cost and the fact it has flecks of white, gold and copper quartz like colors in it. It's a unique looking substrate, and it brings out the color in my cherries!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sounds awesome haha. I'll see if I can pick some up and try it.

Thanx everyone!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Algae Grower

I'm setting up a tank and going the black diamond blasting media route as soon as I can find some (local store was out). From what I have gathered the 20/40 grit is better than the 30/60 as it holds the plants in place better than the smaller sized media.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use 100lbs of the medium grade black diamond blasting sand in my 54g with 12 corys. And their barbels are long and beautiful.

Don't fall victim to the stories of coarse sands hurting corys barbels. The only thing proven to cause issues to their barbels is poor water conditions and extended periods of stress. I read an article recently about an expedition that found corys in their natural environment surrounded by coarse sand, sharp rocks, etc. and they were as healthy as could be.

Like stated earlier though, if you do decide to get the blasting sand, take your time rinsing it and you'll avoid any cloudiness and oily surface film. Took me around 6 hours to rinse 100lbs, rinsing a little at a time until the water ran clear each time.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by captexas View Post
I'm setting up a tank and going the black diamond blasting media route as soon as I can find some (local store was out). From what I have gathered the 20/40 grit is better than the 30/60 as it holds the plants in place better than the smaller sized media.
I went with the 20/40 grit also because of this, and also because the smaller grit would be more prone to compacting and/or having the anaerobic pockets (not saying it would ever happen, but a larger grain size would be less likely).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode