Basalt sand cloudy water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Basalt sand cloudy water

I rinsed the basalt sand for a while and put it in the tank and now its very cloudy. It's been like this for a few hours already. Did I do something wrong or is that the way it is?
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/y...psjkwylqds.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

After a few hour's with filter's running?
If filter running for a few hour's does not make improvement, then a few water changes maybe twelve hour's apart at near 50% should.
Maybe clean the filter media after a few day's also and or run some fresh carbon in the filter's for a week and then remove it.(carbon less effective after a week)
Last resort,,rinse ,rinse,rinse,the sand some more.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't have a filter on it now. Wasn't sure if I should.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

After filling the tank and letting everything settle for a couple three hour's,then turning on the filter is what I would do.
Do note,that sometimes when soil is covered with sand for example,the sand cap may not be deep enough, and soil can find itself free floating in particulate form.
Might add a bit more sand in this particular scenario.
Also help's when filling the tank to place plate or bowl in the tank and run water into this at not too great of flow to keep clouding of water to a minimum.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello lee...

Cloudy water is pretty normal with any new substrate. Add a padded filter medium like the products from Acurel or HBH. Both will do a good job of attracting and holding the small particles that cause the haziness in the tank water. Large, frequent water changes will help too.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I usually run a filter with plenty of floss in it. Then rinse the floss once or twice while the water is clearing up. It is amazing how much fine debris the floss will trap. Carbon is of no use to clear this kind of cloudy water.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I usually run a filter with plenty of floss in it. Then rinse the floss once or twice while the water is clearing up. It is amazing how much fine debris the floss will trap. Carbon is of no use to clear this kind of cloudy water.

+one^
Carbon can however help remove chlorine,some metal's possibly found in substrates,source water,tannin's from wood,peat, along with dyes that sometimes coat the substrates if they are offered in differing color's like the pink,blue,green,bag's of stuff offered .
Had never heard of this particular sand, so after searching for a bit I saw where it or similar type ,was offered in different color's.
Carbon can also aDsorb dissolved organic's that may be leaching into the water from substrates where they are found.
In any event,I feel there is little harm using it short term to help clear up what it may be able to.(can't hurt nothing )
Can alway's remove it after a week, and keep some on hand maybe to remove residual's from med's after treament's.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode