Eco complete and gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Eco complete and gravel

So after reading so much about substrate, planted tanks, and what not from here. No lie everything I read and this forum has been crazy helpful I'm glad someone from YouTube recommend it for beginners. Any way to my question after seeing different peoples take on Eco complete I'm in a pickle. I have a bag of Eco complete that I bought from the store since the guy from Petco told me it's a good easy start for having planted tanks and isn't to messy. Well I have gravel from my 10g that I want to use and moving it to a 30g tank. So I was wondering if it was alright to just mix the gravel and Eco complete. Or should I have the eco complete under and the gravel on top? I'm thinking of having Monty Carlo or dwarf baby tears as my ground cover. Adding some AR mini's too. Also thinking of having flame moss as a wall. If you haven't already noticed I am new to the whole planted tank scene and want a easy start up that's going to look great with a some what easy of taking care of. So if you could point me in any direction being different threads or advice that be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You are starting your first planted tank; so start with a proper light for your tank. You need a dim-able LED fixture which will provide at its maximum setting a PAR of about 100 at substrate level.

I cannot help you there as I have no personal experience with LED fixtures.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
You are starting your first planted tank; so start with a proper light for your tank. You need a dim-able LED fixture which will provide at its maximum setting a PAR of about 100 at substrate level.

I cannot help you there as I have no personal experience with LED fixtures.
Well another user suggested that a Coralife T5 High Output 6,700K Aquarium bulbs would be my best bet for my 18" tall tank..they say I could go with others that are brighter but it would cause algae to grow quite fast..plus I'm on a budget and trying to do my best and upgrade as time goes on

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Most of the plants you mentioned are high tech oriented plants. I would even ask first on plants on this list as not 100% of them are actually suited for low light.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ht-plants.html
Those two substrates are very different looking. Placing the gravel under the Eco might
hide it, but some of the gravel will end up on top when you move plants.
If you need something cheap to add to it you might try Black Diamond Blasting sand
from Tractor Supply. In any case plants don't grow without nutrients so reading some in that section may help you on that issue.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great list Raymond S.
This is an awesome forum.

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Eco Complete is inert on its own but I think they add some nutrients while packing. But eventually you will have to add ferts for plants to grow well. If you planning to cap eco complete, have a look at Caribsea super natural or instant aquarium sand. They might look really good. Just a suggestion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would use the gravel from the 10 gallon as an accent on top of the EC. Not an evenly spread out layer, but in drifts and patches.

Here is how I would do this:
The top layer of the gravel has a very high population of nitrifying bacteria (If the 10 gallon has livestock).
Skim that top layer off and save it in a humid place (perhaps in a separate bucket with a little tank water).
Set up the new tank, include the bacteria rich gravel where it will look nice, sort of like a stream bed, on top of the EC. Perhaps add some larger rocks. Plant it, being careful not to bury the beneficial bacteria.

Alternate: If you want the gravel look in the new tank: Use all the gravel from the 10 gallon to top off the EC, but start with the gravel from the lower parts of the 10 gallon (probably lower in bacteria) and make sure the bacteria rich gravel is well scattered on the top.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I would use the gravel from the 10 gallon as an accent on top of the EC. Not an evenly spread out layer, but in drifts and patches.

Here is how I would do this:
The top layer of the gravel has a very high population of nitrifying bacteria (If the 10 gallon has livestock).
Skim that top layer off and save it in a humid place (perhaps in a separate bucket with a little tank water).
Set up the new tank, include the bacteria rich gravel where it will look nice, sort of like a stream bed, on top of the EC. Perhaps add some larger rocks. Plant it, being careful not to bury the beneficial bacteria.

Alternate: If you want the gravel look in the new tank: Use all the gravel from the 10 gallon to top off the EC, but start with the gravel from the lower parts of the 10 gallon (probably lower in bacteria) and make sure the bacteria rich gravel is well scattered on the top.

What a awesome idea! I never thought about doing that! Plus that's why I wanted to use the gravel of the 10g it's been with fish for the last 6 months..I do have some larger rocks and drift wood coming in also!! So hit the nail on the head with that!! But great advice I'm really gonna start imagining different ways to put the gravel on top!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantetra View Post
Eco Complete is inert on its own but I think they add some nutrients while packing. But eventually you will have to add ferts for plants to grow well. If you planning to cap eco complete, have a look at Caribsea super natural or instant aquarium sand. They might look really good. Just a suggestion.

I do and don't want to do sand.. I like the look of it but then I'm just like ehh uneasy..I think one day once I upgrade to a bigger tank way down the road I'll look into sand and all the better features once I get more comfortable and have a whole lot more knowledge under my belt
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfat View Post
I do and don't want to do sand.. I like the look of it but then I'm just like ehh uneasy..I think one day once I upgrade to a bigger tank way down the road I'll look into sand and all the better features once I get more comfortable and have a whole lot more knowledge under my belt
yup the idea mentioned by @Diana sounds the best. I was trying to give you more options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantetra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfat View Post
yup the idea mentioned by @Diana sounds the best. I was trying to give you more options.

Of course and I appreciate the help and ideas!! Thank you!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode