Dirt In Water and Filter Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dirt In Water and Filter Question

Okay as some of you know I'm having trouble with a lot of stuff lol! But this is probably the least of my worries. I was pulling up some jungle val. Actually 10 lbs worth of the stuff cause it's prolific and too hard to maintain. I wouldn't say hard... I'd say time consuming and I'd rather just not be bothered. This stuff would be great if I wasn't pulling up 10 new runners every couple days.

Anyways! So I was pulling them and cutting them and accidentally pulled up my water sprite. Well... I thought my swords had big root systems....... I pulled up a huge chunk of dirt and quickly plugged the hole I made. Needless to say I couldn't see into my tank. I had it at 50% cause it's water change day anyways. Either way. I think i'm going to let it all settle and vacuum it out when it does.

My question is, how long can I leave the filter off? It's a 90 gallon with like 20-30, actually I dunno how many shrimp. I filled the tank back up so it has plenty of O2 right now. I'm leaving my co2 off, and keeping the light on, so the plants should leave it with enough O2. I'm hoping it all settles within a couple hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:23 PM
Dc5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Why not just let the filter run to clear up the water faster? That's what I've always been doing when I uprooted my dirted tank but I do clean the filter the following water change week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto: run the filter, then clean the filter the next day.

If there were more livestock, then I would actually be more concerned for the beneficial bacteria in the filter. An hour or so is no big deal, but more than that is a problem- they need a lot of oxygen.
If you have to leave the filter off, then put the media in a bucket of water with a small pump or bubbler. Or run the filter on a bucket of water.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a pre filter sponge on the end of my fluval 406 filter. Well... It's a DIY sponge i just stuck on.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5 View Post
Why not just let the filter run to clear up the water faster? That's what I've always been doing when I uprooted my dirted tank but I do clean the filter the following water change week.
I let the filter clear it up and clean the filter 6 months later! As long as it doesn't slow your flow rate, it wont hurt anything. With a prefilter sponge, let it clear it up and just rinse the sponge.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay cool. I have no problem cleaning the filter, it's so easy to clean canister filters. I'll let it run and suck up whatever is still on the bottom next week. Unless I can do it and not have a WC effect my EI dosing?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just clean the prefilter. Don't clean the canister unless needed. You could cause a mini cycle...

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It is OK to clean the filter. Done right, it does not cause a mini-cycle.

When I set up a tank, or make a mess, I make sure the filter has some floss in it, and run it. I check it the next day, and rinse out the floss, then let it go. Usually the first 24 hours of cloudy water is when the maximum amount of fines get trapped by the floss.

Water changes are fine with respect to ferts.
If you are following the EI method or any other, there is no problem at all with an extra water change, if the tank needs it. I would just pull out enough water to rinse the filter media, though, unless the tank water still had not cleared in 24 hours (might still be a faint haze- that is OK). Even in the worst case scenario, where a tank needs a much larger water change, or even a double water change, I still do not alter the fertilizer schedule- just keep on fertilizing per schedule.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's pretty much clear now, just a lot of sediment, actually kinda makes it look natural lol. But all I was really worried about is the fert schedule.

Awesome thanks a lot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode