• 2 Post By Kathyy
  • 2 Post By Xiaozhuang
  • 2 Post By keymastr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Question ADA Aquasoil question(s)

So Im on the verge of changing out my substrate in a couple tanks from blasting sand to ADA AS. Got a couple of questions...

The tanks I will be changing are a 75 gal, a 29 and a 20. All high light, co2, EI, etc, and I do have a tendency to uproot/move things around a lot.

I understand AS needs to be treated with a gentle hand any time it is disturbed, follow with a WC etc, so Im prepared to not be able to yank things up and re-stuff them with the same reckless abandon as I can do now with sand.

The reason I want to change is is for the KH lowering properties of AS. I use straight tap which is 7-8 KH (maybe a tad higher?) and it's proving difficult to grow some of the more demanding species I want like Tonina, erios, bv etc.

1) Would there be any benefit to capping the AS with sand? I realize before long it would probably all be mixed together, at least to some degree.

2) Is there any reason to, or not to...mix say 50/50 AS and the sand together?

Or would it be better to do away with the sand entirely and just go straight AS?

My concern is not really saving $$ by buying less AS, I just hate to shelve all this sand. Seems like a 50/50 blend would be.....alright?

Any advice from experienced peeps will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
What about doing the attractive and popular AS behind rocks with a sandy beach?

I'd be concerned that the hard sand would break up the soft AS faster if it was mixed.

My AS is only 3 months old but it doesn't get muddy if plants are pulled up, just some silt sized bits that soon settle down or go into the filter.

Since you have 3 tanks why not mix AS with sand for the smallest one and if you like it then do for another, if it doesn't work then you haven't used all that much of it.
burr740 and burr740 like this.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The buffering capacity of Aquasoil does wear off after a few months; the harder your water, the faster it wears off... so it's not a permanent solution (if you keep doing water changes with high KH tap water). Not to mention the flux each time a water change is done

How faster it buffers, and how long your substrate can "last" is up to your soil/water ratio... so you can dilute your aquasoil with sand, but the buffering effects will be lessened also.

At the cost of buying so much aquasoil; if your concern was to have lower KH water, getting an RO system might make more long term sense. It's hard to fight the water with just substrate. For plants that like an acidic substrate, you can add underlayer of peat, or have pockets of AS.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
My water is not terribly hard but has a high KH,(around 11 or 12), until it rains. I just blend it with my RO water to get 4 KH and call it good. PH out of the tap is 8.2 or so and does not lower with the addition of RO.

I tried Mr Aqua soil which acts similarly and it originally pulled all the KH out of the water and reduced the PH to 6.5 or so from the 8+ that it started out as but after the tank cycled and regular water changes were performed it pretty much stayed the same as it came out of the tap. Maybe if it were left for a few weeks it would still pull the PH and KH down but that really is not practical for me.

Tags
ada aqua soil, ada aquasoil, aquasoil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode