1g Bowl - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
1g Bowl

So I'm setting up a no tech bowl next to my 15g and gonna be using some organic dirt have on hand, its from EB stone with a pool filter and cap. Dirts been mineralizing but I'm not sure if I should add peat moss into the dirt or just try it out the way it is first. What are advantages of adding peat?

My water has a high pH and right now I can't get an ro system. Yet... Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

People use peat to lower the pH and soften water (if you're keeping fish that like water that way), and also to fertilize the plants.

Quote:
My water has a high pH and right now I can't get an ro system. Yet... Haha
If you want to experiment, a nano tank is the way to do it. You could buy a gallon of distilled water at the grocery store for a couple of bucks and use that to fill your bowl.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have plans on buying an RO system but for now Ill just settle with getting 1 gallon jugs for the bowl. Once I have some other items that need taking care of I can look for an RO system. Sphagnum and peat moss are pretty much the same if I'm correct?

Just need to buy a few plants, hopefully this weekend and I'll be able to plant.

Any idea on what I should stock? Im gonna put MTS in the tank to help with removing air pockets in the substrate but wheres the fun in a tank full of snails? I'm leaning towards a very small moss carpet in front followed by staugoryne? or parva/pygmy chains then more crypts and most likely rotala in the back. Think some cherry shrimp would do well? I want to get a colony establishe so I can introduce them to my community.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Here's an article from Diana Walstad on keeping shrimp in one gallon bowls. She posted a link on one of the threads I was reading but darn if I can find it. Anyway, it's available via Google search.

http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Distilled water is too pure, don't get that. Get drinking water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I do plan on dosing some ferts when needed, I have flourish trace, If I get distilled water will adding that make it suitable for pants. I want to switch to ro because the pipes in my apartment are horrible so who knows what's going on my water, I wanna have more control over that.

So I went and got pool filter and from Leslie's and the lady guessed it was for a fishtank haha. Unfortunately the bag split at the bottom so there was a mess to clean up, I did manage to save most of it. It was $10 for a 50lb bag so I'm not too worried. Different story if it was a bunch of aquasoil.

That's definitely an interesting read. Seems like she's actually had success. Now if only my neighbor would take his loaches back so I can get shrimp in my other tank.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You'll need a remineralizing supplement if you use RO water or distilled water.

Something like Flourish Replenish.

Or SaltyShrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode