Replacing Gravel With Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Replacing Gravel With Sand

hey i like the look of sand in a planted tank, but my used tank i got a couple months ago already had some (i think is ugly) tannish gravel. i want to take it out and replace it with sand. would this affect the plant's growth? also, should i bag my fish that are in it and keep them floating? i think it would be too hard to take out all of the gravel, so i think i will leave .5-1 inch of the gravel (enough so it doesnt show from the side) and fill the rest with play sand. is play sand ok for freshwater and will it affect Ph, Gh, Kh? also should i mix it with flourite? and how do i do that i have never used it before. thanks a lot - nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Depending on the source of the play sand it could well contain carbonates that would effect your water chemistry. Out here on the left coast play sand is like flour in grain size and not what I would want in my planted tank. If you leave any gravel in the tank it will work it's way to the surface. The smaller particles will always end up on the bottom. And the more you mess with the substrate the more this will happen.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 04:50 PM

I've replaced gravel w/ sand & sand w/ sand by simply using my fishnet and scooping up the stuff (45g, 29g, & 40g tanks). You can get close to all of the stuff out that way. I left the fish swimming in the tank. Didn't loose any fish doing that.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what about tahitian moon sand or eco-complete? i like the look of black sand. how big are eco-complete grains? thet look bigger than sand. OR, could i mix the two, so i get both the small, cool looking grains of moon sand, and the plants will like the eco0complete.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 04:09 PM

I use flourite in my planted tanks but the eco-complete looks pretty nice too. I wouldn't mix sand w/ gravel because the sand will slowly trickle to the bottom; thus, making it not noticable.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrambler
what about tahitian moon sand or eco-complete? i like the look of black sand. how big are eco-complete grains? thet look bigger than sand. OR, could i mix the two, so i get both the small, cool looking grains of moon sand, and the plants will like the eco0complete.
Eco Complete is a bit smaller than gravel but significantly bigger than Tahitian Moon grains.

I had both, but ended up sieving out almost all of the eco complete because I wanted a true sandy appearance. Also, the larger grains of eco complete are medium/dark gray. As has been said in trhis thread, the larger grains work themselves to the top. Depending on your lighting, this will kill the appearance if you want a black substrate.

Tahitian Moon has a few lighter-colored flecks, but it is not as noticeable, or disturbing, as eco complete.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 08:20 PM

Or you can just use 100% Onyx sand. That's what I use the most but a bit greyish in color.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoboy
Or you can just use 100% Onyx sand. That's what I use the most but a bit greyish in color.
I used Onyx sand in my 29 gallon and was disappointed in the color, it was advertised as black, but is really a light grey. It also isn't really a sand, but a smaller sized gravel. I also layered Tahitian Moon sand on top, but my MTS keep it all too mixed up, the Onyx ends up back on the top layer.
Nikki

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode