Pool filter media as substate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pool filter media as substate?

I have seen a few pics of folks using pool filter media as substrate and I like the size and color of it not to mention its like 5-10 bucks for 50lbs. Wondering if any of you have any experience with it and if there is a type or brand that is better than others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've used nothing but # 20 grade quartz-based silica pool filter sand for years in all my tanks, and love it - wouldn't use anything else.
I buy a no-name brand from a good local pool supply store, and I'm quite sure if you get yours from a reputable pool supply store you'll be getting the proper stuff.
Avoid buying it from any big box store, as you can't be sure you're getting real good quality, and true heavier density pool filter sand.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I think I will give it a try.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I get Lane Mt. Company silica sand from Home Depot. 100 lb. bag for only $9. Used 300 lbs of it already (lots of tanks). It's extremely clean right away, I still rinse it a couple times in a 5 gallon bucket though (fill bucket 1/3rd with sand, fill with tap water, stir it up to kick up dust and then dump water, fill again, stir and dump water, then add to tank).

The sand company is based in my state (WA), but not sure how far they distribute the sand to, maybe Arizona has it as well. It's a white-ish sand (nice white-ish beige, not too bright IMO)

Haven't tried other sand as I've been perfectly fine with the sand I do use, perfect grain size, very clean, cheap, and it doesn't get sucked up easily and it does fall down quite fast so if it gets stirred up by fish it doesn't create a lingering cloud.

People have used pool filter sand, all-purpose/play sand (pool sand is cleaner) and also Black Diamond blasting sand (black sand) as other cheap alternatives.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I got two bags of the HTH brand from Ace hardware down the street. It is also #20 Silica sand. Using it for two months now.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find that it works better for me to go in and look around the stack of bags. There is almost always some lost and it gives you a better idea of what's in the bag. Even the same brand can vary slightly in color as it may be scooped from a slightly different spot.
The pool filter guy can wonder the first time you ask as most filter sand goes in a filter where it is never seen but a small explanation usually gets past that question.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great! I am going to try and use it for a couple new shrimp tanks as inert substrate. I don't want super bright white sand, so if it isn't a mix of colors ill mix it with some beige substrate from petsmart or the like.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

How/where is the sand used?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode