70 gallon MGO topped with fluorite sand. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
70 gallon MGO topped with fluorite sand.

First timer here.
Just looking for feedback, advice and criticism.

The plan is for a 70 gallon, with MGO on the bottom and capped with 100 lbs of Seachem black fluorite sand.

I'm not even sure what plants I'll put in it, but it will have a heavy animal bioload. This will be a big toy for me....cobbled together from a garage full of reef aquarium bits. Other than the sand, CO2 will be the only new purchase.

Do you think I'll need more sand? Anything I'm missing or doing wrong with that substrate? Would a different sub-substrate be preferred, like peat, eco complete... or perhaps a dead cat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I will assume you chose the fluorite black sand for it's capability of holding nutrient's = good.
If however it is color alone that led you to select the fluorite black sand,then I might suggest Black diamond blasting media found at Tractor supply.
About eight bucks for 50 lbs.
I and other's are using it as cheap substitute for pricer black sand option's.
The black diamond is largely inert so will not provide benefit the fluorite does with respect to adsorbing nutrient's.
I shoot for two lbs of substrate per gallon for substrate depth in my tanks'.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I will assume you chose the fluorite black sand for it's capability of holding nutrient's = good.
If however it is color alone that led you to select the fluorite black sand,then I might suggest Black diamond blasting media found at Tractor supply.
About eight bucks for 50 lbs.
I and other's are using it as cheap substitute for pricer black sand option's.
The black diamond is largely inert so will not provide benefit the fluorite does with respect to adsorbing nutrient's.
I shoot for two lbs of substrate per gallon for substrate depth in my tanks'.
This^^
since you are dirting I would use the cheapest cap you can get and let MGO supply nutrients. Or root tabs or whatever.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well...I had ordered the fluorite early in my research, thinking that it would be able to provide a balanced diet for the anticipated greenery. Only after it had been purchased, did I learn it's really not all that, and began to research putting in a sub-substrate. (Thoughts on other low-risk material to put under the fluorite are welcome. What about peat?)

I like the idea of minimal outside disturbance to a balanced ecosystem. It's what I shoot for in my saltwater tanks and it's what I'm going for on this.

I really like the ground covering look of a thick, short plant growth, with rock work, drift wood and larger plants rising up from the bottom. I imagine I'll need to fiddle with my lighting to get that dialed in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

nothing wrong with fluorite, just cheaper options. If you have already purchased it go for it!
It's a good substrate, you didn't go wrong. There were just cheaper options if you wanted to pursue them.

Last edited by ichy; 09-02-2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: a;f
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmotive View Post
Well...I had ordered the fluorite early in my research, thinking that it would be able to provide a balanced diet for the anticipated greenery. Only after it had been purchased, did I learn it's really not all that, and began to research putting in a sub-substrate. (Thoughts on other low-risk material to put under the fluorite are welcome. What about peat?)

I like the idea of minimal outside disturbance to a balanced ecosystem. It's what I shoot for in my saltwater tanks and it's what I'm going for on this.

I really like the ground covering look of a thick, short plant growth, with rock work, drift wood and larger plants rising up from the bottom. I imagine I'll need to fiddle with my lighting to get that dialed in.
Don't use straight peat. It is acidic and may leech a constant supply of tannin into your tank and cause it to have a brown tinge.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
Don't use straight peat. It is acidic and may leech a constant supply of tannin into your tank and cause it to have a brown tinge.
Good timing!

I just stopped by the local hippie garden center on my way home.
Got a bag of organic peat and a bag of "Dr. Dirt's premium organic garden soil". I'll find another use for the peat.
Dr Dirt is a local radio host here in Indianapolis who touts organic gardening. I'm going to give him a call and ask about his soil and this rather unique application. I'm sure he'll have some fun with my questions on-air.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Home-...66632613555454

Also picked up a nice selection of slate for aquascaping.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode