DYNAMITE premium use as root tabs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb DYNAMITE premium use as root tabs

So far I have been using root taps as fertilizer for Amazon swords with great success.

I am wondering now is there anyone here who has experience with Dynamite 13-13-13 premium plant food to fertilize plants in a fish tank instead of using root tabs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi g4search,

Based upon the MSDS the product is similar to Osmocote in that it is encapsulated fertilizer. It does have substantially greater phosphorus / phosphate than Osmocote and I would be worried about a greater likelihood for algae blooms. Both products use ammonia as the nitrogen source so buried deep in the substrate is a must.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
So, I've used dynamite in land-gardening before, and osmocote in both aquariums and land-gardening.

My only concern with the dynamite is that it is a very slow release fertilizer, delivering over 9 months in soil, while Osmocote releases in 4 months. So at the very least, you will probably need to adjust dosing to deal with the longer, slower release.

I'd also suggest favoring their all purpose 18-6-8 formulation, rather than the flower and vegetable garden 13-13-13 version. Aquarium plants are mostly leaf mater, and need a bit less P and K than plants that are blooming heavily or producing fruit.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

To both Roy and Matt,

Thank you so much for your replies here.

I appreciate it. (I am actually really ticked off, because I wrote a long reply discussing various issues. That took several hrs. Apparently, I have been logged off during that time, and I now lost ALL my typing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You are welcome...

Sorry to hear about the submit issue...

One additional thought.. I'm not sure what breaks down the resin coating in dynamite... it is possible it is dependent on bacterial actions from bacteria common in soil, but not so much in aquatics...

If that is the case, the dynamite might not properly release...

That said, I think it will, but there's a possibility it won't..

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have some Dynamite in some tanks, but have not been monitoring the parameters (no fish in those tanks). Plants and algae are growing well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode