Do I need any other additives? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do I need any other additives?

If I was to use the organic miracle grow potting soil with black diamond blasting sand for the cap, do I need add clay or any other additives in the substrate? Or should I be adding any water column fertilizers like flourish? I plan on a dutch/nature style aquarium with some type of carpeting plant. Also is this type of substrate approach ideal for me if I plan on adding clippings from stem plants as I go rather than all at once, with exception of the carpet plants? I would appreciate any and all advice I can get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can do just about anything you want! That's the beauty! You don't need any other additives, but they aren't going to hurt either. Plenty of folks here do it either way, including myself.

The only consideration I would factor in is that you'll likely have quite a few stem plants if you're going dutch and with that you may be disturbing the dirt quite a bit with pulling and replanting stems. That will result in dirt making it's way into the water column and you'll have to vac up the leftovers.

Yes, to fert the water column if you've got water column feeders, but most of the nutrients are going to be in the substrate for root feeders. Keep a rich substrate and a leaner water column and algae won't get out of control.

Read what others have done and follow in their footsteps or learn from their mistakes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey thank you for your reply, I have been getting frustrated with all the info and different ways to do things. I have to say you got me all pumped up again to bust this tank out! I truly appreciate it!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

i was reading from a blog that it would be a good idea to add 3 more thing beside potting soil. please correct me if im wrong guys.

1)clay

"Clay is my favorite add on. Basically clay helps maintain the iron levels in the substrate. IRON is the KEY. There is Zero point in spending high dollar on liquid fertilizers that go in the water, when you can take some time up front, and get the iron in the substrate where the roots were meant to take it from."

2)crushed oyster shells or crushed coral

"To keep the KH, you can get creative. I have used old crushed coral from my reef tank, Iíve also smashed up oyster shells and used them. Calcium helps keep KH up. Both of which are found in crushed coral and in oyster shells."

3)lava rocks

Lava rock is a no brainer.

1 and 2 was quote from: http://dustinsfishtanks.com/planted-...do-it-and-why/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have that API laterite, is that the same thing as the clay? All I have for water column ferts are leaf zone and flourish. Would that be enough coupled with co2, the mirical grow and medium/high light? Thanks for the info by the way!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think you're doing good. Leaf Zone works really well for me. Flourish is about the same.
Both of those products are micro nutrients, so you might want to look at something that provides the macros (NPK).

Laterite is a good clay substitute, mainly because of the iron in it.

Get it wet and plant it heavy. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Funny story.. so I had just finished planting all the new plants and realized that I had completely forgotten about adding the laterite to the substrate! Ok, so it's really not that funny, I'm actually really bummed about it haha. Any suggestions on how to fix this rookie mistake? Should I try tediously adding it to the soil with tweezers? Just forget adding it? Or just rip everything out and start fresh? I'm not completely satisfied with the aquascape but I dont hate it either, so I would be fine with any option, just want to hear others opinons. Thanks again guys!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get some dry fertilizers. A years supply will cost about the same as 2 months worth of the bottled stuff, including shipping. For instance in the Flourish line you need to buy Flourish, Flourish Potassium, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish excel etc. and each of those bottles are 98% water. You probably have water already. Just sayin'.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you just add dry ferts to water column like you would liquid ferts? Is there any specific brand you prefer? And where do you order them from? As always thank you for the info!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
If say if you haven't filled the tank yet than rip up everything and put in the laterite and redo the scape. If you've already filled the tank, you may be able to put in the laterite with tweezers or something. Better than nothing at least ^^

For the dry ferts, yes you can dump them in the tank same as liquid, you can premix your own liquid bottles, or just mix with tank water right before dumping in the tank. nilocg sells them in the for sale section of this forum, he's very reputable and has great packages. other options are greenleafaquariums or bobs tropical plants.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

O very nice! yeah I just looked him up! looks like he makes it very easy to get everything you could need for ferts. Thanks for the info!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode