Dirted 125, very milky water! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dirted 125, very milky water!

Tank is a 125g, fx5 filter, beamworks 72" 6500K LED, filter media is coarse sponge, 1 lb ceramic bio rings, 2 bio pads, 3 polishing pads.
I did 30 lb of natural clay on the bottom (kitty litter...it IS dusty..), then about 80 lbs of top soil, capped with 50 lbs black beuty blasting sand.
I will admit, I dindt rinse any of them.
In the past when I had my 55g, i just threy play sand in, had two HOBs, after a week of cleaning them the water was fine.

This one, were going onto two+ weeks now. I did a fishless cycle and put a used filter pad from my HOb into the fx5 to get the cycle going. I still have extrmeely milky water, cant see the back of the tank at all. Got my 5" pleco and 1 cory in there. Water params are ok, 0 amm, 0 nitrites, 2 ppm nitrates.

I have done approx 6 75% water changes, to no avail, water still milky!.

Is it just a huge bacterial bloom? Tried a flocculant, didnt help a thing.
Any ideas?
I have 1 small pieces of driftwood and a bunchf of small swords in there.

I am thinking my main problem is the fact i used un washed kitty litter clay. It is 100% natural, non clumping. I also use this in the shop to put over oil spills, and it is quite dusty.. Is what Im seeing just the dust? Why isnt the flocculant bonding it together and the polishing pads catching it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Not rinsing any of those products will take a while to get all the stuff out of it. TONS of dusty water came out of my BDBS when I rinsed it. Took me hours to get the water to the point where I was ready to put it in the tank.

Only thing you can really do is keep up with your large water changes and wait it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks, thats what I figured.
I knew being lazy up front would cost me!
spend 2 hours rinsing, or the next 3 weeks and a combined 10 hour sor so changing water..DOH!

PS this is what it looks like the mornign after a WC.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Bummer - that is an awesome setup though! You will be fine soon enough

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode