Does adding ADA aquasoil to an existing tank cause ammonia spike - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Does adding ADA aquasoil to an existing tank cause ammonia spike

I posted a question earlier about adding aquasoil to an existing tank in order to lower pH. Tank is 5gallon hex. Well I went ahead and ordered a 3litre bag of Aquasoil Amazonia Normal type.

I have heard that adding the aquasoil to an existing tank could cause an ammonia spike. Has anyone gone through this or heard of this happening? I would only be adding a small amount (maybe a litre or so) of the substrate since I already have 2inches of ecocomplete in the tank. I have also heard it doesn't take much aquasoil to lower the pH, which is a good thing in my situation. Again, anyone ever added a small amount and seen their pH drop?

I am wanting to get some CRS and CBS for the tank and know that my pH of 7.8 is not going to agree with these shrimp. Right now the only inhabitants of the tank are 4 RCS and 3 amanos. It is planted with HC, wisteria, and soon to be riccia and pellia. I have diy co2 as well.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is my first planted tank and am learning on trial and error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
While I make no claim of expertise in this area, I did add AquaSoil (Amazonia) to my existing tank, and it was a nightmare. In addition to the ammonia spike, my water clouded up and was actually yellow in color for about two weeks- in spite of 30% water changes every other day. IMO it is a bad idea.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
put it in a bucket for 2 weeks first, change the water regularly.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
yeah, you can always cycle the AS in a seperate bucket for a while and then slowly introduce it into your tank. put a powerhead in the bucket to get good oxygenated water and then in a few weeks introduce it into the tank slowly, making sure not to cap the previous substrate.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comatoast View Post
While I make no claim of expertise in this area, I did add AquaSoil (Amazonia) to my existing tank, and it was a nightmare. In addition to the ammonia spike, my water clouded up and was actually yellow in color for about two weeks- in spite of 30% water changes every other day. IMO it is a bad idea.
im going thry the same thing right now
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Yes, it will release ammonia. I have added some to 2 tanks that had flourite. Since I dose these tanks I just stopped dosing. I have each heavily planted. I had no issues. Everyone did fine. You can always change water or add some Prime. I only added handfuls.

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

alright, thanks guys. I am going to put some of the Aquasoil in a bucket when it gets in. Luckily I have been running a spare small filter on my 40gallon just keeping it cycled for times like these. I will just put it on the bucket and let it do its thing. With a mature filter like this how long do you think it would take to cycle say 1litre of aquasoil?

hey comatoastand Tex Gal, when you added the small amount of aquasoil did it lower your pH to around 6.5? If not what was your pH reading after the AS was added.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:44 AM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
you shouldn't need a filter, because you aren't "cycling" the aquasoil, you just want all the ammonia to leach out. Dump the water out and refill it every day for 2 weeks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
The smaller the tank,the less forgiving it is.

I would rinse the Aqua Soil well and freeze it in small cubes and add it gradually,over at least 3 or 4 weeks,buried in the existing substrate.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thats a damn good idea, lescarpentier. Has anyone tried freezing the substrate and then adding so the dust doesn't get all stirred up? Seems like it would work just need a little reassurance.

So the use of a filter is kind of pointless? Will it not speed up the process of removing the ammonia?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldar View Post
... Will it not speed up the process of removing the ammonia?
Zeolite will aid in removing ammonia. Maybe you can toss some in a bag in your soaking Amazonia mixture.

Here is Marineland's Zeolite: http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealinv...x=9&submit.y=5

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I can't say if it lowered my pH. I don't test very often. It does have peat and it known to do that. I think the ammonia actually gave my plants a little boost.

Just keeping on keeping on....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode