Quikrete all purpose sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quikrete all purpose sand?

I got a bag of the quikrete all purpose sand because it has a dark color and it varies from sand to small pea pebbles. I was wondering if anyone has ever used this before?Here it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice color. Hope to see the filled tank.
I would put about half of a 5g bucket of it and run a hose through it keeping it at the bottom and let any finer pieces float out over the top. Keeping the end of the hose that is at the bottom. No doubt a bit of dust and possibly trash may come out.
It sure looks more like the sand in a stream than white sand does.
If you are going for a stream look you did well.
I get this from a mom & pop LFS. They break down a large bag and sell 2# and 5# bags. But you can go directly to a blasting yard for the big bag I think 40Lb.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=52570

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've used it in the past and had mixed feelings. It is cheap but then the quality can vary quite a bit. Some will have dirt but that is a matter of what you want in that tank at that time. We use dirt to plant, maybe?
But the main problem I had at the time was due to the fish and type filter I was using. My fish were diggers who loved to spit the sand on the filter intake of HOB filter. In a HOB the water goes to the impeller before the media and that makes the sand score and kill the impeller real quick.
Depends on what and how you are working it?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Algae Grower

I have used this before. I recommend thoroughly rinsing the sand before using it in your aquarium, it's pretty dusty. It doesn't really provide any kind of a binding ability, or even that good of a substrate for roots to hang on to, but it does look very natural in the tank. With proper fertilization plants will grow in it, however you may need to use weights on smaller plants until their roots are developed enough to keep themselves held down. I had a 45 tall using only this as a substrate and grew vals, sagitaria subdulata, and Lobelia cardinalis decently well, but I was much less experienced in growing aquatic plants back then.

All in all it's cheap, fish safe( provided you rinse it), and natural looking, not bad if you ask me.

-Diagnosed Hygroholic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ty all for your answers. I guess ill go ahead and use this. Its gonna be a cap for my second attempt at dirting a tank (its only a fluval spec v). I also have playsand but it seemed like it would get picked up by the water flow because it is so fine it also is a much brighter color which I didnt want. So i guess we will see how it goes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Does this bag say anything about being graded for size?

Here is a good test:
Put equal amounts of this sand, and play sand in separate containers with water, and swirl well.
See how fast the water clears.
Play sand has a lot of fines, and they will stay suspended for quite a while. They can get stirred up and cloud the water in an aquarium. Also, they fill the spaces between the larger particles and greatly reduce the water flow through the substrate.
If the Quickrete is a product I have used here (for different purpose) there is just a little dust from shipping, it is essentially all particles one size.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Pool filter sand is very uniform in particle size, is usually fairly clean, and is made for a use similar to plant substrates. It is also cheaper than pet store sand/gravel is.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode