3M black quartz T grade - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)
3M black quartz T grade

Hi all,

I bought some 3M black quartz T grade about 18 months ago for about $15.00/50lbs. Today, I called the same place and they wanted $45.00 for the same thing! Does anyone else experience such a huge price increase?
I'm looking for some more quartz in Southern California. Does any member here know a good source? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Currently I have Crystal Red, Crystal Black, Golden/White Bee, Blue Bee, Fire Red, Dark Green, Babaulti Green, Snowball, Fire Red and Unidentified Shrimps for sale. PM me for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Deactivated

PTrader: (48/100%)
15$ for 50 lbs is very cheap. They have to order this stuff in quantity and perhaps you got the end bag of a previous shipment or something. It is 30 to 40 bucks a bag here and this is the home of 3M. Go tot the 3M homepage and it will eventually lead you to a list of distributors in your area.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvntran View Post
Hi all,

I bought some 3M black quartz T grade about 18 months ago for about $15.00/50lbs. Today, I called the same place and they wanted $45.00 for the same thing! Does anyone else experience such a huge price increase?
I'm looking for some more quartz in Southern California. Does any member here know a good source? Thanks in advance.

Kevin
no they cant increase the price that much .. around here still same price 18/bag ..but the order need to be more than 50$ .

have you tried to call around?
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Products/Buy/

but as the sametime i heard so cal hobby got a really hard time to get some 3M
good luck to you kev

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Try Mason Mart they are located in Montclair, Ca. I lost their info, but should be able to find them online...Back in Dec. I paid $19. a sack
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you all for all the leads and info.

Marrow, Kali: Yes, I tried that link, called dozen of places, many refused to sell to the public. I even tried the same place again just to be sure I got a different rep, and yes, it was 45.00

Yogi1974: Thanks, Monclair isn't bad, it's about 2 hours drive from where I am. I will try to search some more though.

If I get lucky and find a source for $15.00, I will post it here.

Kevin

Currently I have Crystal Red, Crystal Black, Golden/White Bee, Blue Bee, Fire Red, Dark Green, Babaulti Green, Snowball, Fire Red and Unidentified Shrimps for sale. PM me for details.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I called Mason Mart in Montclair and they do have quartz for $18.xx/50lbs, cash only.

Still no luck finding anything in San Diego.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 AM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I paid about $18 for 50 lbs. Another place was slightly more, $20 or so. $45 is ridiculous.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
Agreed. I paid $22 for a bag in the Tampa, FL area a few years ago.

Regards,
Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
I just today paid 34 bucks a bag in Baltimore..
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Does anyone have any idea where to find this stuff in Michigan, or any place that ships it? According to 3M's website, the closest distributor to me is in Cleveland. I'm not really into the idea of a 6 hour round trip to get some, but I'm really interested in using this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
I just ordered 4 bags from this place. http://www.vbpstore.com/50-lb-bag-of...or-quartz.html They are getting rid of their stock and selling it at $24.80 per bag shipped to your door. They didn't have any black left so I ordered buff to mix with the 3 bags of black I currently have. They did charge a $12 pallet charge for my 4 bags.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinq View Post
Does anyone have any idea where to find this stuff in Michigan, or any place that ships it? According to 3M's website, the closest distributor to me is in Cleveland. I'm not really into the idea of a 6 hour round trip to get some, but I'm really interested in using this.
As far as I know - from my search last year - no one in Michigan carries Color Quartz of any color. Try calling Cleveland and see if they will ship. By the way, if they will break it down, 45 lbs will fit in the $13.95 flat rate USPS box.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinq View Post
The 3M website will show you very limited number of places you can get. Try using yahoo's yellow page, and search for Pool Plastering. You will get a bunch of numbers, simply call them if you can buy from them, if not, ask them if they know where to buy. There's a good chance that someone will tell you a local contractor that has them.
When you find a source, please post it up here to help other hobbyists. Good luck.

Kevin

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
3M Color Quartz

Kevin,

Be happy to sell you some 3M. The price has gone up since you paid for it 1.5 years ago, but not $45.00 per bag.

Call Bud on Tuesday at (909) 433-0280 and he will give you a much lower price than $45.00.

Have a great holiday.

Casey Nicholson
National Sales Manager, Mason Mart
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I heard 3M is discontinuing the Colorquartz line...so get it now before it is gone...
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...artz/HomePage/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode