Does Flourite lose its potency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does Flourite lose its potency?

My tank is coming together slowly and I only lack one big ticket item, but I was thinking about just adding my flourite and working with the way I want the driftwood to work and then adding the plants when I buy my c02 setup. Would it be a bad idea to add the flourite even though it may sit for a month or two? I mean does it have a shelf life? Sorry, never used the stuff. Ive still got some tropical semi agressives in the tank till I find new homes for them and they seem kinda freaked out with having basically nothing in the tank. And I dont wanna put gravel into it because changing substrates is a serious pain in the you know where.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Just rinse it really well first, especially if you're adding it to an already established tank.

And make sure you've got plenty of filter floss on hand, you may need to swap it out a few times if the water gets cloudy.

Some bags of Flourite are worse than others...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Your question posted as I'm reading it was;
Does Flourite lose its potency? Meaning will it wash out or what ever in the tank before you add your plants. Right ?

I'm using Flourite in all my tanks (5). Its an inert fired clay product. It will not 'go bad' in a tank or left in the bag.
Actually, placing it in a tank and allowing bacteria and some fish waste to establish in it would be a big plus when you do add plants and fertilizer tabs later. Its dusty starting out so I rinse mine really well before adding it to a tank.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep, dear god. I added a few bags and washed the stuff forever then took my wifes strainer. (shes mad) and used it to wash it some more till the water was clear and it still mucked it up pretty good. Definitely one bag made more mess than the others. Thanks for the replies, and it looks so much better in the water than in the bag.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markstanfill88 View Post
Yep, dear god. I added a few bags and washed the stuff forever then took my wifes strainer. (shes mad) and used it to wash it some more till the water was clear and it still mucked it up pretty good. Definitely one bag made more mess than the others. Thanks for the replies, and it looks so much better in the water than in the bag.
I've learned the hard way that it's often a good idea to do tank maintenance when spouses are out of the house for the day... especially when using kitchen utensils and appliances (stoves, ovens, dishwashers... )

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by markstanfill88 View Post
A good washing trick is to get a couple of five gallon buckets at your local hardware store along with a paint strainer cloth (or three) and strain it though that a couple of times wash it out and repeat. That will work better than the food strainer.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Algae Grower

ditto on that last post, i used a fine net with a bucket under to save the very fine particles for potted plants, that way nothing goes to waste. ive done quite a bit of planting and uprooting and i NEVER stir up more than your normal bits of detritus.

EHEIM-PIMP #383

55 Gallon
Eheim 2215, Eheim 2026, Eheim Surface Extractor, Ebo Jager 250w, Pressurized CO2 w/ Aquamedic 1000 Reactor, Coralife 2x 6700k 28w, 2x Colormax 28w, 45kg Flourite, 15 Kg Florabase, No Fert Dosing....Yet
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
I think another trick with Flourite is to let it dry after rinsing before putting it into your tank.

EHFIPIMP #324: 2x 2215 - Victor/dual-stage Pimp #15: VTS253A
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 06:24 AM
anh
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
what i do is i would add the substrate to the tank first before i add water, then i put a plastic garbage bag over it, this keep the substrate from being disturb, i pour the water slowly into the tank and then pull the bag out when im done. Still cloudy but wait a day and it will all set. This way all the little particles can fill in the crack of the substrate better.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yet I started a tank with 4 bags of flourite, never rinsed, never prepped, just VERY slowly added water as to not disturb anything, and I had only slightly cloudy water that went away in less then a day.

Honestly, I think alot of the 'issues' with flourite come down to how you work with it.

I also added another half a bag to the tank after it all settled. It was cloudy less then an hour.

BUT just so you know, it IS just an inert clay, so there are no 'additives' in it that you would be washing out, if you were to bother rinsing it. All you would be rinsing away, is flourite dust.

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode