Faster mineralized topsoil via fluidized bed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Faster mineralized topsoil via fluidized bed

OK. Wacky idea number... oh who am I kidding, I can't keep track anymore.

My idea is to remove most of the manual labor and hopefully a good deal of time from the processing of mineralized topsoil.

Fluidized beds create huge bacterial colonies for breaking down the organics. Aerobic septic systems work on the same principle albeit with a different approach and no sand to contend with.

The Picture

The Process

1. Prescreen your topsoil over a fine screen.

2. Prepare an apparatus such as the one in my picture.

3. Fill with water.

4. Slowly add topsoil. The amount you can add will depend on the strength of your pump.

5. Wait.

6. Perhaps test with ammonia and nitrite test kit to determine when fully broken down.

7. Remove pumps, let settle, and harvest.

The Input

Let the melee begin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Well, if all you wanna do is oxidize it, something I and others have long pointed out to the recent Mineralized Soil bunch(those that have not used soil say before a 1-2 years ago), boil it for 10 minutes, or you could bake for 1 hour at 300-400F.

Thermal oxidation via bacterial...........end products are the same.
Most of the MS bunch seem oblivious and want to ignore the obvious.
As if waiting 2-3 weeks is somehow "better". I see no evidence that supports that claim.

Still, if you want to speed it up, heat is the way to do it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I thought that cooking off the bacteria was problematic. If not then I'm not opposed to cooking it. Time to pull out the Turkey fryer...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizguy View Post
I thought that cooking off the bacteria was problematic. If not then I'm not opposed to cooking it. Time to pull out the Turkey fryer...
Why would it be problematic?
When you add plant roots, they are loaded with bacteria unless you dipped them in bleach etc and anyone using bacteria to mineralize would be adding non sterilize sediment anyway, so no need to do any of that in the first place.

You want to grow plants/roots etc, not bacteria really.
They will grow and cycle things later, so there's no real issue, roots will grow and so do the bacteria along with it.

I see no advantage for keeping the bacteria really and not just cook it, but spouses often will scream bloody murder if you used their pot, or oven. So that's a big trade off vs a muddy tray outside.

Bacteria will get back into the tank rather fast. Flush the tank 2-3x and then plant densely. This is what a number of folks in Brazil did about 10 years ago based on Vladamir's protocol:

"The use of earthworm castings requires some prep-work but offers excellent results: lush, healthy plant growth.

Materials:

- A bucket for rinsing the castings
- Earthworm castings (without additives) - tap water
- a stove and pot for boiling the castings

Preparation: 1) Obtain 100% pure additive-free earthworm castings 2) Rinse the castings in your empty bucket - allow water to flow slowly thru. Turn the material over with your hand to distribute water throughout. Eliminate all that floats. 3) Boil the castings in a pot. There should be plenty of water so that the castings do not dry out. Boil 10-15 minutes, stirring occassionally. 4) Allow to cool. Deposit the castings back in your bucket, repeating step 2. Once again, eliminate all floating debris. 5) After thorough rinsing, the bucket water should become relatively clear. 6) Drain the bucket and place the castings in shallow pans or on sheets of cellophane in thin layers under the sun, allowing them to dry completely. The dried castings can be stored in ziplock bags for future use.

Usage: Earthworm castings should be used in moderation, and do not need to be completely dry for usage. They should be diluted with washed sand in a 50-50 ratio. The combination of earthworm castings and sand should approach 1kg of mixture for every 50 liters of aquarium water (for example, in an aquarium of 100 liters I recommend to use between 2 and 4 kg of earthworm castings). It is best to use the mixture as the first, bottom-most layer of your substrate. If you plan to build an extremely deep substrate, it can be used within the middle layers."

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode