Capping Eco complete with black sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Capping Eco complete with black sand?

So I will be setting up a 75 gallon planted tank sometime in the near future and was wondering if there was any way I could cap eco complete with some type of black sand (either play or pool sand) without the two substrates mixing? I want my cory cats to have sand to play in, but also want some sort of plant substrate to help my plants grow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I wouldn't bother. The finer substrate will eventually sift through to the bottom. You'll end up with two layers with all the sand at the bottom (reverse of what you want).

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
+1 for Tony. You could do a half-n-half, (EC in the parts with plants and sand everywhere else) or just stick with black sand/coal slag on the whole thing.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 02:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I tried that and yep, the sand isn't on the top anymore. I want to re-do my substrate and get rid of the eco

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Don't use eco. Just use sand. I ditched eco for black diamond and it was totally worth it thus far

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 11:21 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1. Fine particle substrate will NEVER remain on top of course large grain substrate for any amount of time. It'll always just eventually fall to the bottom, filling in the gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I set up a 10G and a 40B with Activ-Flora. And I love it. It is more like very small granules rather than sand. It does not cloud up when disturbed and holds plants well. I don't vac the substrate because I have so many plants but I do wave the vac back and forth over the top of the substrate to remove mulm. It comes in quite a few colors. I wanted the black which was unavailable forever from the vendor, but a LFS was able to order it for me. It was not cheap at $20/16lb bag. But I really like it!!! Bonus is that my Dwarf Panda Cories, Otos, and Flying Foxes all like to mess around in it! I do use root tabs and dose dry ferts but from what I've read you end up doing that with any planted tank at some point no matter what substrate you use.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode