When is substrate depth an issue? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
When is substrate depth an issue?

The conventional wisdom has always been the you don't want your substrate too deep or you end up with the whole anaerobic thing going on which is supposed to be a big no-no.

But then I look at many of the ADA showpieces and that have such steep, dramatic slopes to the layout that at the back of some of them, the sub-strait has to be anywhere from 6" on the nanos, to over a foot on some of the big ones. How come it (apparently) is not an issue in such examples?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

From all the reading I have done, it is an issue when air can't get through the particles, so, finer particles will pack more.
The scenes I have seen done with steep slopes use large particles (read: ADA Power Sand) that do not get crushed/packed (e.g pumice, expanded volcanic rock, crushed lava rock- all with lots of air pockets and with substance). In these scenarios too the aquascapers use material to help bank the substrate so it doesn't just end up leveling out.
Other issues with steep slopes have to do with properly supporting any heavy or large prices of hardscape.

If you do a YouTube search using "James Findley Altitude" and watch the whole thing you will see exactly what I mean.

I do a lot of container gardening and the principle is similar, use coarse material to make sure there are micro air pockets which help keep the plant roots healthy. ADA's Power Sand looks a lot like the perlite commonly used by gardeners, except the power sand is darker and also feels more hard, it doesn't crush easily unlike perlite.

Hope it helps.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. Checked out the "altitude" layout. Holy poop that's high!

I see how the large, porous "power sand" makes for a good "filler" for extra deep areas (though why its called "sand" is beyond me). So as long as the space under the substrate proper is of a similar composition, depth shouldn't be an issue. I wonder while Findley felt the need to mix ASA AS with the PS even at the very bottom (helped to "lock" the PS in place maybe?).

I wonder if I can find something similar to PS locally....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

I got horticultural pumice from the garden store. 7 bucks a bag for 15 litres. Take a look. Attachment 501938
Pumice left, power sand right.

If I had known beforehand, I would not have purchased the power sand. However, I had to mail order this stuff (power sand) so I had nothing to compare with initially. The pumice is a bit more irregular sized and particles are slightly more angular, huh, which means to me they won't slide around as much once packed in. I'll be using this once the power sand runs out.

Daisy Mae V

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 08-26-2015 at 01:22 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
I got horticultural pumice from the garden store. 7 bucks a bag for 15 litres. Take a look. Attachment 501938
Pumice left, power sand right.
Total score!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yup, I had the pumice lying around, I use it to fluff up my worm bins. Might use it instead of perlite to fluff up soil mixes once my huge bag of perlite is gone. This planted tank business really is just an extension of the garden, he he, but year round and more fun because you can watch the critters.

Daisy Mae V

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode