Making the switch to the DARK i mean dirt side .... questions??? yas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Making the switch to the DARK i mean dirt side .... questions??? yas

howdy plant masters, im not the plant master.

so, can someone link the greatest dirt known to the aquarium?? is this the greatest? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQLVNI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=dirtaqua-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000BQLVNI
how much would i need for a 2x1 floor print for .5-1 inches? then do i cap it with sand or pee gravel 1-2 inches?

after i strain the big things out, do i let it sit in my tank with water for a few days doing w/c WITHOUT the cap to get the excess nutrients out?

last, will it cause ammonia spike??

ty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Planted Member

Welcome to the Dark Side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by not the plant master View Post

so, can someone link the greatest dirt known to the aquarium?? is this the greatest? Amazon.com : Miracle-Gro 72986510 Organic Choice Potting Mix, 16-Quart (currently ships to select Northeastern & Midwestern states) : Organic Growing Soil : Patio, Lawn & Garden

how much would i need for a 2x1 floor print for .5-1 inches? then do i cap it with sand or pee gravel 1-2 inches?

after i strain the big things out, do i let it sit in my tank with water for a few days doing w/c WITHOUT the cap to get the excess nutrients out?

last, will it cause ammonia spike??

ty!
Welcome to the Dark Side!

Most use MGOCPM because it is a nationally known brand. Any organic potting mix will do.

Get a large bag, plant petunias in the dirt you don't use on the tank.

You DO NOT put ANY water in the tank without first capping it!
Moisten the sifted soil to the consistency of a stiff cake batter. This will help get the air out so it won't bubble up out of the bottom when water is added later. Pour in your capping material, then GENTLY fill the tank. The sand keeps the dirt at the bottom, and there it MUST remain!.

Always cap with sand. Pea gravel is too large size to keep the dirt down. It you want gravel put 1 1/2 in sand, then 1/2 inch gravel on top. You will not be able to vacume your gravel with this set-up!

It will probably cause a bit of an ammonia spike, My current one hasn't risen above .5 ppm...Yet.
Your water might temporarily have a bit of a yellowish color, but it should only last for a few weeks to a month.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:40 PM
Planted Member

Totally agree, any organic dirt will do, I used organic black earth on my second tank. I found miracle grow had a surprising amount of good sized chunks of wood and sticks.

With my second tank I put more dirt than I needed in a large bucket and filled it with water, stirred it up and left it for a few hours to settle. Then I scooped out all the floating material and drained the water. I continued letting the mud settle and dumping out the excess water until I had really thick mud then put it in my aquarium.

I've always capped with a very small size gravel, and havent had any issues. You definitely want to cap before water goes in the aquarium, then fill very GENTLY. I fill my aquariums pretty quickly, but make sure I have something (plate, zip lock bag, etc) to pour the water onto to it isn't directly hitting the substrate.

I use floating plants to use up the extra nutrients in the water instead of doing massive water changes (water lettuce and frogbit are easy to control and get rid of unlike duckweed). This has worked pretty well for me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not the plant master View Post
Lol best opening line ever!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Floating plants like frogbit, large hydrocotyles, water lettuce, and Watersprite are good plants to use starting up a tank with dirt substrates. You can also use different stem plants and then plant them once the tank settles. They absorb large amounts of nutrients and, block light to the lower levels to prevent algae.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode