Super Naturals Tahitian Moon, flourite black sand, or Eco-Complete? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By klibs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Super Naturals Tahitian Moon, flourite black sand, or Eco-Complete?

Super Naturals Tahitian Moon, flourite black sand, or Eco-Complete, I am trying to decide between one of these for 2 tanks. I thought I wanted to use the black diamond, but decided I do not, so which one would you go with?

One tank is 40 gallon breeder & 180 gallon

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Depends!

What are you aiming for plants/livestock wise for the two tanks? That would help fellow TPT members in making suggestions better suited to your needs.
Any particular style? Aiming for a biotope?

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
What are you aiming for plants/livestock wise for the two tanks? That would help fellow TPT members in making suggestions better suited to your needs.
Any particular style? Aiming for a biotope?
Nothing crazy, I plan to keep it simple. Swords/Vals/Sag, maybe some Dwarf Hair Grass.

Fish, Angels/Cardinals/Corys.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's definitely easier to plant on sand vs gravel. Which also means the plants can be uprooted more easily if they are not established yet.
I can't speak about Eco-complete, but it has chunks that look like gravel and I can see that it might be harder to plant on it. The swords/vals/sags should be fine on any of the above, I have no experience with DHG so I can't talk about that.
The sand is the most inert out of all those substrates so you would possibly need to supplement with ferts sooner with this vs the other two.
Some folks on the forum prefer to house corydoras on sand, some have no trouble on gravelly substrate (trouble meaning injured barbels) as long as the water parameters are good. Mine are on plain gravel and they are happy.

I have to admit, the Tahitian Moon looks really pretty, but I am sure there are other forum members out there who can chime in, give you more concrete info!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
DHG does much better in my sand vs when it was in eco complete.

Eco complete has VERY variable grain sizes which I am absolutely not a fan of. Big gravel-sized chunks will end up on top after some time. Some are a solid 1cm in diameter - it is ridiculous.

Also I switched from eco complete > black diamond and like it a LOT better
ricktfoster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
DHG does much better in my sand vs when it was in eco complete.

Eco complete has VERY variable grain sizes which I am absolutely not a fan of. Big gravel-sized chunks will end up on top after some time. Some are a solid 1cm in diameter - it is ridiculous.

Also I switched from eco complete > black diamond and like it a LOT better
Thanks for the info. I really was just second guess about the black diamond it sitting in my garage, and it cost me less than 100 bucks, where as the others were going to be close to 500. I rather spend money on plants and fish at this point I think.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 AM
Planted Member

I've had good success with black diamond in my tank. Here's a thread on the forum which shows many successful tanks with black diamond blasting sand as substrate.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=153192

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I wish I hadn't used the eco-complete, not because of it per se' but I love the moon sand look! Plus the eco seems to have pieces that lose their color (I also have floramax mixed in) and so I have the occasional reddish stone too. I wish I had all sand. It's crossed my mind to change it but what a hassle!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode