220 gal tall, substrate ?'s - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
220 gal tall, substrate ?'s

Hello, new to the forum and purchasing items and wanted some opinions please----

1. 220 gal (72x24x30) and planning high tech planted.

2. Plans are for a "V" shaped sand area with a half moon shape tumbled rock wall on each side around the overflows. Then 1ft up maybe put driftwood branches overhanging out over the sand and across the sand center, rocks piled around driftwood base.

3. Rocks would be hot glued to keep from shifting and original thought was to fill backside up with ADA Power Sand Special L (9L per side) then Amazonia on top of that, driftwood on top, then Amazonia angled up higher to within 7-12 in from the top.
(want to somehow keep the Amazonia cost down, so thought I might be able to stack the rock behind the wall too, then top fill that to save 9L-27L of that soil. )

4. Plant on top of the soil on both sides with various plants, putting Anubas along both rock walls, drfitwood stumps, and tied moss too the branches. Then some various plants or Riccia on small rocks in the sandy areas.

My questions are for substrate minimalization, i.e........ Getting cheaper brand for fill and top 4-5" in Amazonia. Calculator put 7" total depth for base of tank at 600+ pounds. Hell with that LOL. I want to do it right so might just spend the bucks, but was at 600 total including shipping with 18L of Power Sand Special, 6x 9L of Amazonia, 8kg of La Plata Sand and then a couple fairly small items, shipping was 175$. Gotta be some better options. If I could get some suggestions that would be great, but some of the other options price out about the same.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could try getting a lfs to order it for you... they could probably get a better deal on the shipping and a volume discount...

Otyer thoughts are rocks or sand as filler, though youd still need quite a bit of that as well, but at least you can usually get that by the truck load (as long as youre not terribly picky) from a local quary... just go pick it up and its inexpensive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode