Black Substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Black Substrate?

I am going to be moving soon, and need to make some changes to my tank. I was thinking about getting new substrate. What do you guys suggest for black? I was thinking about Flourite Black sand, but open to suggestions. The tank is 180 gallon, 72x24. Right now I have activ flora, but the depth is lacking in several areas, my guess I need 5 bags to get to correct depth, and it difficult to find anymore.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

have you seen black diamond sandblasting material?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
For a tank that large, DEFINITELY consider Black Diamond.

It's like $5 for a bag at most. Comes in a few different sizes. Usually available at stores like Tractor Supply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So for the price, it seems like Black Diamond, would be best way to go, is it going to be close as far as what it does for me compared to the Active Flora, or Flourite Black sand?

So would I need about 400 lbs of it? Around 8 bags?

Thanks
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

It won't do anything for you beyond serving as an essentially inert substrate. Will look like nearly any other black sand. You'll need to provide your own fertilization for plants.

As far as how much you'll need... I'd probably pick up an extra bag beyond what you know you'll use. That way you have extra if you need it. And... what about Multiple Tank Syndrome? You can use any extra for that!

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have a 92 gallon corner tank with a LOT of flourite in it. The majority is the coarser stuff, so I can't speak as much for the sand. I have a very difficult time planting in it. The smaller plants can be really difficult. (the 24" of depth doesn't help.) I recently set up a 20g long and used Black Diamond for media. What a difference! It is a pleasure to plant stuff in. I'm constantly replanting stuff in the flourite until it becomes established and I don't get that with the BD at all.
It is a completely different look, but I like it.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
For a tank that large, DEFINITELY consider Black Diamond.

It's like $5 for a bag at most. Comes in a few different sizes. Usually available at stores like Tractor Supply.
I concur. I paid $7.99 for a fifty pound bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
It won't do anything for you beyond serving as an essentially inert substrate. Will look like nearly any other black sand. You'll need to provide your own fertilization for plants.

As far as how much you'll need... I'd probably pick up an extra bag beyond what you know you'll use. That way you have extra if you need it. And... what about Multiple Tank Syndrome? You can use any extra for that!
I concur. I dirted my 40, so I'm not concerned about it being inert. I'f you're not using dirt or a premium soil based substrate, you will have to add ferts.

I love the look of the Black Diamond with small slivers and piles of slate chips here and there!

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I paid $10 for 100lbs. Not sure where you're located, but call up the local sand blasting supplier in your area and chances are good you'll get it for cheap.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is this stuff look real black? I know I have seen the Flourite Black Sand it does not seem 100% black, at least compared to something like the petco sand.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Black Diamond blasting medium looks pure black unless you're right on top of it looking up close. You'll notice some browns etc upon really close inspection.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Heres the black diamond in my new 20long. It's a little washed out from the lights but pretty accurately shows what it looks like. I think it looks fantastic.

Bump: Also at my local tractor supply it was $10 for 50lbs, far from expensive, but not as cheap as others are finding it so be aware the price seems to vary.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Black is beautiful.

Used as a theatrical trick for millenniums. Shows off the fish, plants, rocks, etc.

Helps hide everything else.

Brightwell Aquatics Rio Escuro-XF is black or very dark brown. My ADA store sells it. DrsFostersandSmith is the cheapest.

Cheers!

-PhilipS ><>

Mr50's, Killer Plants, Whiskey Pond

Last edited by PhilipS; 07-23-2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: sp
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Heres a few shots of my black diamond

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

$10 for 50lbs is still a huge amount. Even at $20 for 50lbs, it's probably worth it when compared to other dark sands.

I've been using the same bag I bought two years ago for a bunch of small tanks and bowls.

Those pictures really show it off well, strangewaters. Thanks for sharing.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it really is great stuff. it was probably something i did but when i had used miracle gro and lava rocks as my subtrate most of my plants melted bad and just broke off and died. since using this with osmocote+ tabs well...pics speak for itself. only had this tank running for maybe a whole 2 months

Bump: and to be honest its blacker than what my pics show

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode