Need some advice, too much debris remaining on the substrate. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need some advice, too much debris remaining on the substrate.

I'm noticing a fair bit of debris on the bottom of my 75g. I have a eheim pro 2075 filter with the standard spray bar located at the top right side of the tank. The intake is as low as possible and is located on the same side as the spray bar on the right, but in the back corner.

I opened up the holes on the spray bar to reduce flow at the top of the tank because I have pearl gouramis and they don't like a lot of movement up top.

I am willing to add some power heads to the lower part of the tank but not sure if I should get 2 smaller ones like the koralia 240 and place them at opposite corners point down to the substrate. I think this would create a nice circular movent.

Or do I just get one larger one and hope that it does the job?

I don't like the idea of a lot of stuff in the tank. I only have inlet and outlet currently, heater is inline and all co2 is inline too.

Hoping to get some suggestions on possible configuration and equipment. I think the koralia nanos might be the way to go.

Thanks in advanced for all the help

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Also wanted to mention my inhabitants that occupy the lower part of the tank. I have a large school of cherry barbs, yoyo loaches, kuhli loaches, and Cory's.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Debris in Tank

Hello phil...

The organic material that settles on the bottom is always dissolving and nourishes the plants. The excess is removed through the weekly water change, so what's left does no harm to anything living in the tank. This is natural and beneficial. If you want to remove more, then get a syphon and line of plastic tubing and carefully vacuum around decorations and plants. Be careful not to push the end of the syphon into the substrate. You don't want to damage any plant roots close to the top of the substrate. Just move the syphon back and forth over the bottom material.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello phil...

The organic material that settles on the bottom is always dissolving and nourishes the plants. The excess is removed through the weekly water change, so what's left does no harm to anything living in the tank. This is natural and beneficial. If you want to remove more, then get a syphon and line of plastic tubing and carefully vacuum around decorations and plants. Be careful not to push the end of the syphon into the substrate. You don't want to damage any plant roots close to the top of the substrate. Just move the syphon back and forth over the bottom material.

B
What siphon do you use? I have a "gravel vacuum" from amazon but I'm wondering if it's possible without removing too much water from the tank.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello phil...

B
While you do bring up some valid points about the buildup I think you also missing some very key things too.

Its likely that with such poor flow at the bottom of the tank that the co2 distribution would also be suffering. This would mean less than ideal plant growth. There is also something o be said for the nutrients in the water column not being spread around the entire tank. This leading to possible deficoencies

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hey Phil,
I have 2 koralia 425 in my 40 breeder and find the flow just right. I think 2 240 koralia may not be enough in the 75.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

How do you have yours positioned? What filter are you running and what fish do you have?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

The water movement in the tank should be in the shape of a barrel on it's side (longer side), hopefully as long as possible. I think its true that the build-up of debris on the bottom of the tanks is from misdirected or insufficient water movement. The water flow should keep debris moving until it goes into the filter. BTW, does it increase water flow through the filter after you clean the it?

I think a coralia would help if it's pointed so as to increase water movement. I would use one larger Koralia. Good luck with it.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sunsun 304, 1 in back left side 2 inches below surface shooting straight across back of tank, 2nd one is front right side, 2 inches below surface pointed at front left bottom corner.
Rasabora, embers, dwarf rainbows, cories, ottos, 2 small plecos, Von rio orange tetras, and too many endlers. Way overstocked, but over filtered too.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:20 PM
Planted Member

I have a fluval 406 and 306 and two Koralia 425 in my 75g tank...finally am getting good distribution of co2 and reduced mulm. I suggest you go with two 425.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:11 PM
Captain

I also have a 75gallon tank. My filter likely flows a bit less than yours. I have a Koralia 550gph power head in the upper right front corner. The filter output is in the upper right rear corner. Filter intake is in the lower left rear corner.

Given that the back 1/2 of the tank is mostly plants and the front 1/2 is mostly open, the above arrangement seems to work nicely at keeping the visible tank floor clear of debris. I suspect the back 1/2 likely has more debris, but as already stated, the plants will work on that.

Your idea of 2 power heads in different locations likely will be a better (although more expensive) solution to keeping a good overall circulation throughout the tank. My understanding is that bba (and maybe a few other algaes) don't like water circulation so your adding additional circulation has an added benefit.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 PM
Planted Member

I've built a custom spray bar for my cichlids tank in the past, hooked up to a Fluval FX5. Angled slightly to the substrate, it kept my white sand spotless(cichlids are poop machines)

The bar was 6ft long(length of the tank) .
The Fluval was pushing a lot of water and didn't have any problems lifting all the dirt from the ground and pushing it towards the intake in my 120g 30" tall tank.

Now I don't see anything in my planted tank because of the carpeting plants , but even when I clean it, there's not much debris (looks like the plants consume it)...but if your ground is mostly open, I suggest building a custom spray bar.

Cichlid-forum has a great DIY.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

If you build a spray bar along the back and it shoots forwards then down, where do you put the intake? How would the debris from the one end of the tank move to where the intake is if all you have is a barrel like flow?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think I will go with 2 koralia nano 425 and play around with different arrangements to see what works best.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:21 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
If you build a spray bar along the back and it shoots forwards then down, where do you put the intake? How would the debris from the one end of the tank move to where the intake is if all you have is a barrel like flow?

Well obviously the intake goes on the back wall instead of the side. What you wanna avoid is lots of flow going nowhere.

It's either what I have now: lily pipe right side of tank , blowing water across the front glass then back to the intake which is on the same side but in the back- circular motion, or spray bar blowing water down the front glass, lifting dirt off of substrate and sending it in the intake...

Obviously you gotta take into account your hard scape placement, as well as what type of plants you use .Each can block flow to almost 0 if not placed correctly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode