Dirting a 29 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dirting a 29

Setting up a new 29 gallon and was wondering how much dirt and any preferred brands. Also what to cap it with.

-DAN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPlanted View Post
Setting up a new 29 gallon and was wondering how much dirt and any preferred brands. Also what to cap it with.
You want enough dirt to cover the whole bottom of the tank with a depth of about 1-1.5 inches. As for brands, as long as the dirt is ORGANIC meaning no added fertilizers, it is ok. I like to use miracle grow organic choice.
For a cap, you can use gravel or sand. I like sand because it is easier to plant in. And you want about a 1.5ish inch cap.!
BTW! If you need plants I GOT A TON FOR YOU!
GOOD LUCK!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:53 AM
Planted Member

I use 1 inch black gold brand worm castings and 2 inch regular aquarium gravel. Miracle grow works well and is sold practically everywhere, but has several large chunks of wood in it which end up floating through your cap and sit all over the bottom of the tank, not ideal.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Planted Member

You have to sift it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr1rodeoclown View Post
I use 1 inch black gold brand worm castings and 2 inch regular aquarium gravel. Miracle grow works well and is sold practically everywhere, but has several large chunks of wood in it which end up floating through your cap and sit all over the bottom of the tank, not ideal.
You should sift it through 1/4" hardware cloth to get out the larger pieces.
I used 1/8" reptile tank screen top.

1" of dirt - 1" cap.

If you like lighter bottom substrate, use coarse builders sand (Lowes H.D) or pool sand (local pool supply). Darker substrate Black Diamond blasting grit (tractor supply) or a very fine natural colored gravel.

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok thanks I'll probably head to home depot or somewhere today to find something

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

-DAN

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just got some miracle grow organic soil gonna cap it with some sand. Do I need to rinse the dirt or sand?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

-DAN

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:01 AM
Algae Grower

You definitely want to rinse the sand. There are many threads on how to do it. Better if you do it outside. I am in an apartment and it took FOREVER to rinse it clean, using a bucket and avoiding getting sand down the drain.

I didn't rinse the soil. Just dumped it in the tank. You may want to keep it wet for six weeks before planting, I didn't soak my first tank, but am planning to wait two months soaking the soil before planting or putting fish in when setting up my 55 gal tank.also planning to use ecocomplete second time around, with some sand too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 06:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdreams View Post
You definitely want to rinse the sand. There are many threads on how to do it. Better if you do it outside. I am in an apartment and it took FOREVER to rinse it clean, using a bucket and avoiding getting sand down the drain.

I didn't rinse the soil. Just dumped it in the tank. You may want to keep it wet for six weeks before planting, I didn't soak my first tank, but am planning to wait two months soaking the soil before planting or putting fish in when setting up my 55 gal tank.also planning to use ecocomplete second time around, with some sand too.

I dumped the soil in a bucket and then filled the bucket with water and skimmed off the floaters. I poured off the extra water and the stuff that sank went into the tank.

I did it all outside. Doing it indoors would be miserable! 6 weeks before planting?!?! Wow, you are a very patient person. I can understand waiting on fish, but waiting to plant? Wouldn't that give algae a great head start?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Planted Member

I've always planted right away, and plant heavily. I agree on waiting 4-6 weeks for fish though, make sure everything is evened out. I do 3 or 4 90% water changes in the first week, then 1 every 3 days until things balance.

oh also, get a couple kabob skewers and poke your cap/soil in several spots. its gonna release a lot of gas which can get trapped in the soil.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr1rodeoclown View Post
I've always planted right away, and plant heavily. I agree on waiting 4-6 weeks for fish though, make sure everything is evened out. I do 3 or 4 90% water changes in the first week, then 1 every 3 days until things balance.

oh also, get a couple kabob skewers and poke your cap/soil in several spots. its gonna release a lot of gas which can get trapped in the soil.
+1, but never bothered changing water.

|
|
|
|
|

Tags
dirt, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode