dirting my 75g (amount/depth of substrate) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
dirting my 75g (amount/depth of substrate)

i was just wondering how much miracle gro organic potting mix i would have to buy and how much play sand i would need to cap it. i cant really seem to find any calculators that work for dirt. (also not sure on what depths i should have)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One inch of dirt. No more than one inch of play sand. That's what I used in my 75 gal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
One inch of dirt. No more than one inch of play sand. That's what I used in my 75 gal.
how much would i need to buy to get this much?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1 bag should do (48*18*1*2.54^3/1000=14 liters).
But I read here a few time that miracle gro organic potting mix has been discontinued. Replaced with something else, not sure what.

|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think the mgo was replaced with this.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=7979857

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

From the depths of my substrate!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is the thread in question, or one of them anyway.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...c+discontinued

|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
1 bag should do (48*18*1*2.54^3/1000=14 liters).
But I read here a few time that miracle gro organic potting mix has been discontinued. Replaced with something else, not sure what.
Yeah I've seen that too but my local lowes still carries it went by earlier to see if they had any and they had loads of it in the 8qt and 32qt bags. Should i not use it though? Was it discontinued for anything that would concern someone who's using it to dirt a tank?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have been tracking this forum very closely lately and I haven't seen anyone reporting bad reasons for discontinuing the product. It's unclear whether it was really discontinued.

|
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Planted Member

I bought a bag at Lowes Monday (7-13-15).
They had big bags and small ones. You'll probably need 1 big & 1 small, but get 2 big 'uns to make sure you have enough. Pick up a pot and some petunia seeds while you're there for the leftover MGOCPS.

I'd also not use play sand. Its too fine and could cut off the oxygen to the plants roots and may contain excessive amounts of salt. Use a COURSE sand, all purpose or builders sand instead, you can get that at Lowes/Home Despot as well. It's usually where the concrete is. You can also use "Black Daimond" blasting grit if you like the black color over the lighter sand, and you have a "Tractor Supply" store nearby.

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by MJB13; 07-15-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Editing
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Play sand works fine although not as fancy as pool sand. I have it in 3 of my tanks as a cap. It need to be rinsed like any cap. I found a wheel barrow and water hose slow flow works great. If it's good for kids to play and eat it's good for tanks.

|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I was planning on getting some black diamond but then I saw nearest tractor supply store is 90 miles away and the all purpose sand is what I meant by "play sand" I've used it on a couple other tanks it's pretty good especially considering its only $5 for 50lbs

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode