Stuff from "Under" my substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stuff from "Under" my substrate

Ok, so I finally received my python and started to clean. Man, that thing is so much better than the other thing I had. I have mostly just regular aquarium rounded gravel such as you would get at Petsmart. The pebbles are pretty big, and lots of room for stuff to get down into them. With my other tube, I was able to get the stuff in the first inch or so of the 3 inches of gravel I have, but with the python I shoved it down more and it started pulling back a LOT of cloudy gunk from down near the bottom of the tank.

I only did this a couple of times, as I was unsure if what I was sucking up could somehow be "good" stuff and wanted to make sure to check with the people that know before I go about tackling the whole tank with this method.

So cloudy gunky stuff from bottom of the gravel, good and leave it alone, or ICK! get that out of there! There are no visible debris on top of the gravel, this is from the bottom of the tank, I imagine against the glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
That gunk contains billions of ammonia-and-nitrite-eating bacteria, among other things. If this is a cycled tank we're talking about, then removing too much could result in an ammonia spike. Make sure you check your water with your test kit daily for a couple of weeks.

It probably would have been perfectly fine to leave it where it was, so long as it wasn't an eyesore or full of rotting (smelly) matter.

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I respectfully disagree

Unless you have a lot of plants, I think you are much better off vacuuming this stuff out of the gravel. I believe it is a source of nitrates.

As far as the beneficial bacteria goes, from what I've read I believe that the bulk of this is in your filter, and that removing the mulm from your gravel will not cause a mini-cycle.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

then again your could just plant the crap out of it and avoid this sort of thing altogether. Plants ftw
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
That gunk contains billions of ammonia-and-nitrite-eating bacteria, among other things. If this is a cycled tank we're talking about, then removing too much could result in an ammonia spike. Make sure you check your water with your test kit daily for a couple of weeks.

It probably would have been perfectly fine to leave it where it was, so long as it wasn't an eyesore or full of rotting (smelly) matter.
and as far as this goes it note going to be any different than changing some of your filter media. You don't want rotting food in your gravel.

You should buy cory's or some sort of bottom feeder to help this out though.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, I have only sucked up stuff from two spots, there's a whole lot more tank to go if I wanted to clean all of it out I just am not sure if I should.

I'm fine with leaving it as is if it is beneficial, or even not harmful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode