Reusing Sand Substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reusing Sand Substrate

Hello all,

New here and new to the hobby. I just recently upgraded from a 10G to a 30G tank about 3 weeks ago. I switched from gravel in the 10G to Fluorite bottom with sand on top of the fluorite in my 30G. I don't really like how high the sand is at the front of the tank and how shallow it is at the back of the tank. I want to try and switch the 2 but I have read that distributing the sand can be very dangerous to the fish.

My question is, since my tank is only 3 weeks old is it still really dangerous to suck some of the sand out and then place it at the back of the tank? The reason I am thinking of doing it this way is because I have white sand and the fluorite is black. I am trying to keep the black bits under the sand as much as possible. Also I should mention it is a freshwater planted tank with hardy fish, all I can find info is on salt water tanks, that's mainly why I am asking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Nah you'll be fine. Especially since the tank is so new.

If it gets messy just do a larger water change and vacuum up the mess.

You definitely want to slope front to back vs the other way around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post

Awesome thank you, and yeah I realize that now after its settled just doesn't look right.

Thanks for the reply!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree it'll just be a messy process.

If you don't have any plants in the tank yet or can easily remove what's in there, you may be able to "cheat". Take a rigid piece of plastic similar to a piece of acrylic sheet and simply insert it at the front of the tank and rake the substrate to slope front to back, instead of vacuuming it and replacing it in the back. Won't be completely without some stuff getting kicked up, but should be a little easier to deal with? Just an idea.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
I agree it'll just be a messy process.

If you don't have any plants in the tank yet or can easily remove what's in there, you may be able to "cheat". Take a rigid piece of plastic similar to a piece of acrylic sheet and simply insert it at the front of the tank and rake the substrate to slope front to back, instead of vacuuming it and replacing it in the back. Won't be completely without some stuff getting kicked up, but should be a little easier to deal with? Just an idea.
Not a bad idea. However I went home yesterday and had a crack in the glass, lost about 10 gallons of water. Luckily petsmart took back the tank and I was able to get a new one. Had to buy all new substrate but I had no casualties and was able to redo what I didn't like about the old set up.... Just took about 6 hours to do everything -_-. Now I'll have to wait for the tank to re-cycle I'm pretty sure, I saved about 15 gallons of water from the old tank and have both of the filters still so hopefully it doesn't take to long. And I have to say this cured my itch for setting up another tank right now lol dam MTS!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode