Flourite-what if I just dump it in? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourite-what if I just dump it in?

Newbe here, and my question may identify me as such. I'm pretty lazy tho and after reading about folks spending 1- 1.5 hours per bag washing Fluorite and still having a cloud that took several days to clear, I just wondered if it would be much worse to just skip washing? I have a 55 gal. tank and 7 bags of Flourite. Let's see, 7 bags times 1.5 hours = Maybe I need to wait until the weekend.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:24 PM

I just washed 3 bags of florite and had all 3 done in half an hour total. The tank was totaly clear 5 hours after finishing the setup.
I placed 1/3 of a bag each time in to a seive that is meant for rice (it was approx 10" across and only cost me 1.5 gbp) each load was rinced with tap water for 3 mins (until run off water was clear). So 7 bags thats only gona take you an hour of your time, well worth the effort I think..

Dave
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 08:48 PM

Well, if you skip washing, than that first load of powder and silt that makes the first rinse water increadibly dirty will end up in your tank most likely coating the top of the substrate eventually. You would then have to siphon all that off, as it would get disturbed every time you do anyting in the tank.

Cleaning Flourite is not that bad. I did 7 boxes very quickly. Use small amounts of Flourite in a strainer and rinse in with running water. Do lots of small loads. It will go quick.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If someone takes more than 10 minutes to rinse a bag of Flourite they are playing with it and not rinsing it. I use a paint strainer that fits a 5 gallon bucket and it doesn't take that long at all. You wash away the dust and keep almost all the fines. See my FAQ for more details on my method.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
RINSE IT DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not and I got a MESS to clean up and it took me twice the time to fix .. and that dust stuck to the tank walls for weeks!!!

Help control the pet population...spay or neuter people won't spay or neuter their dogs or cats!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't know, maybe it's Diana Walstad that is famous for not rinsing Flourite. Just pour gently. If you rinse a little to put on the very top over the dry, it works a little better.

I use the paint strainer for Flourite and Onyx sand. Easy. Quick. Works for me.

James
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
I don't know, maybe it's Diana Walstad that is famous for not rinsing Flourite. Just pour gently. If you rinse a little to put on the very top over the dry, it works a little better.

I use the paint strainer for Flourite and Onyx sand. Easy. Quick. Works for me.
Yeah I don't see how she did that with the flourite. When I added it, I washed it several times and it still turned my tank into muddy water. But, once settled it looks beautiful, especially if mixed with a little gravel.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used flourite and fluorite/gravel mixes and have never rinsed it actually, I just lay a piece of cardboard down so as not to disturb the bed when I fill the tank and it's never been a problem really. The way I see it if I rinse it, I'm washing away things my plants will use to some extent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 04:57 PM

I'll always rinse flourite because teh last bag i rinsed had large clumps of mud with flourite embedded in it. by large clumps i mean 2"x2"x1" dirt clods.
that'd muck up your water and filter media in a hurry.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Blech.
Never seen that before, hope not to ever.

James
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 AM

I have capped fresh dry flourite with older mixed substrate with great sucess. I have also heard of dry sifting to get rid of the really fine dust.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
My 2 cents...I just washed out 4 bags this weekend (on saturday). It took FOREVER!! My GF started by using a strainer and rinsing the heavy stuff out...but I think she got lazy because once I started to fill up the tank after pouring the fluorite in I couldn't see more than 4 inches into the tank!! So I ended up running a garden hose from outside and a python to remove and threw in the vortex. After three recharges and about an hour the tank finally cleared up crystal. I'm so glad I don't ever have to do that again!!!

Re-boot!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Algae Grower

Hey, All.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it again, in case nobody saw...

If you simply spread out the needed amount of Flourite in full sun until it's bone-dry, you don't have to waste a single drop of water to rinse the stuff. Check it out:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/mizmo_naomi

Click on the album that says "Flourite..."

You can see how clear the water stayed and how it was even clearer after one night. You'll get some dust patches floating around on the surface of the water, but that's easy to skim off. When I started adding the water, the Flourite made a sizzling sound, like when you rinse activated carbon for the first time. It's a good way to know if you dried it thoroughly.

I guess it's possible to end up with a particularly dusty bag, in which case, you probably should give it a good rinse or two.

Happy planting!

-Naomi
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 07:35 PM

Dry flourite

I washed my flourite then dried it in the sun and the drying of it is key. I think that the sizzle Naomi reported sucks the fine dust into the pores of the flourite.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
I washed my flourite then dried it in the sun and the drying of it is key. I think that the sizzle Naomi reported sucks the fine dust into the pores of the flourite.

Darnit...I wish I knew this before...oh well. At least the tank looks good now. Pictures soon...

Re-boot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode