Aquatic Planting Media - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquatic Planting Media

I just bought 2 bags this stuff at my local petsmart for $5 each. I'm new to this hobby so not sure if this substrate is a good start for a newly planted tank. Have anyone try this? Any input would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by sinsoi; 06-11-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, it should be fine. Rinse it first so it doesn't cloud your tank too much.

Don't forget to provide fertilizers & CO2 for the plants. Read up on the articles on this site. Substrate is only part of the equation.

It's funny, I saw this at a local landscaping/pond store for $26 a bag. I laughed at the marked up price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
This looks pretty good for a substrate, if you like the appearance of it. However, anything that isn't sold to be used in an aquarium may have some surprises waiting for you. At that price you can probably accept a few surprises.

Hoppy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Still deciding wherever i should stick with my oil-dri substrate or switch to this....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think this is extremely similar to using an Oil-Dri substrate. Both are a fractionated, kiln-baked clay product, both with high CEC capacity.
Depending on which Oil-Dri product you have, the difference may be in color and grain size.

Also, this product has zeolite - the tiny white chips - which will initially adsorb ammonia. Although, not sure I'd like looking at tiny white speckles in a display aquarium. Used in a pond basket, viewed only from the top, you wouldn't see these. Viewing an aquarium from side-on they may be much more apparent. Generally to use zeolite in an aquarium, they are inserted into the filter in a bag, then removed after your bacterial colonies are established. IOW, used out of sight.

Last edited by Rod Hay; 06-12-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Some newer pool filter sands are zeolite, and they have been found to work fine as a substrate. Zeolite can be other than white, ranging from greenish white to tan, just from those I know about. Zeolite has a very high CEC, so whatever good effects CEC has for a substrate should be maximized with a zeolite substrate.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hay View Post
I think this is extremely similar to using an Oil-Dri substrate. Both are a fractionated, kiln-baked clay product, both with high CEC capacity.
Depending on which Oil-Dri product you have, the difference may be in color and grain size.

Also, this product has zeolite - the tiny white chips - which will initially adsorb ammonia. Although, not sure I'd like looking at tiny white speckles in a display aquarium. Used in a pond basket, viewed only from the top, you wouldn't see these. Viewing an aquarium from side-on they may be much more apparent. Generally to use zeolite in an aquarium, they are inserted into the filter in a bag, then removed after your bacterial colonies are established. IOW, used out of sight.

If that's the case then it's very similar to the new formula for Schultz Aquatic Soil which has little blue balls of zeolite in it. I would even suspect that Oil-Dry is probably manufacturing this product for the company as they do SMS/Turface and Shultz as well.

- Brad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode