Aquarium Gravel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Aquarium Gravel

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone would recommend any small gravel that can grow carpeting plants. I used to have Estes' Bits o Walnut which was really fine gravel ~.2cm and could grow carpeting plants but since it was discontinued, I can't seem to find anything similar to it. I would prefer gravel rather than sand or dirt. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Flourite works well for me... Others use AquaSoil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anything in 10 pound bags? I'm doing a nano 5.5 gallon tank.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've heard good things about Baylee's Better Bottom (BBB)

Here is a link to a 4lb auction of it on Aquabid.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ons&1244647179
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Check with a local pool/spa dealer for pool filter sand it comes in a few different colors/sizes (stay in the 1mm to 3mm range) and usually runs about $10 to $12 for 50lbs.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow the BBB looks nice. The 50 lbs of sand would unfortunately fill my entire tank up many times over lol. I'll try the sand next when I get a larger tank.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlee60 View Post
Wow the BBB looks nice.
From what I hear the seller is super nice, I'm sure you can shoot him an email to ask any questions about it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/95%)
BBB comes in two sizes now, a small gravel, maybe 2 - 3 mm and a really nice *sand* which is more like teeny tiny gravel. I use both. The grading is excellent, even particle size so minimal settling. Rinsing required is minimal. One of the best values for a substrate you can't buy locally. Cory is a REALLY nice guy, very helpful.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What does BBB consist of? Commercial substrate manufacturers tell you that.

Hoppy
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Even if they call it "crap" themselves, it looks like river gravel/sand to me?

Baylees is about as un-commercial as it gets, which isn't a bad thing at all, but perhaps don't expect a lab analysis or MSDS.

If you have clean rivers nearby you can probably take some strainers and get something like that yourself. Me, I prefer something made from baked clay, for better nutrient exchange capabilities.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Even if they call it "crap" themselves, it looks like river gravel/sand to me?

Baylees is about as un-commercial as it gets, which isn't a bad thing at all, but perhaps don't expect a lab analysis or MSDS.

If you have clean rivers nearby you can probably take some strainers and get something like that yourself. Me, I prefer something made from baked clay, for better nutrient exchange capabilities.

That has to be one of the most horried websites I've seen in awhile (very early 90'ish) { http://www.bayleesfishees.com/hobby.htm } and there doesn't seem a way to order online. I'm a bit skeptical about the line "BBB will not alter your water" since we call that type 'inert' but now I have to know so I'll order a bag soon.

EDIT: And of course I spoke to soon, they do have an online store it's just not part of the main website and they have a picture of it for anyone that wants to take a look: { http://www.bayleesfishees.com/store/...&productId=230 } 25lbs is about $20 before shipping so I'll be ordering.

- Brad
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Planted Member

BBB has Fluorite in it. Seems like the rest of the pieces are inert rocks chosen for color. It's heavy so plants don't keep popping up out of the substrate and the particle size is even so it doesn't compact. Having done the river gravel thing and spending time sifting out the too big and too small pieces to get a really consistent size... I'd just rather buy it with the fluorite already mixed in.

How slick a website may or not be really doesn't predict the quality of a product... Kensfish.com isn't exactly Drs. Foster and Smith, doesn't mean everything is junk. Cory/Baylees is a person, not a mega company, no fancy packaging, no fancy website, no high prices. If you need ADA printed on everything, maybe he is not the right choice.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannh View Post
BBB has Fluorite in it. Seems like the rest of the pieces are inert rocks chosen for color. It's heavy so plants don't keep popping up out of the substrate and the particle size is even so it doesn't compact. Having done the river gravel thing and spending time sifting out the too big and too small pieces to get a really consistent size... I'd just rather buy it with the fluorite already mixed in.

How slick a website may or not be really doesn't predict the quality of a product... Kensfish.com isn't exactly Drs. Foster and Smith, doesn't mean everything is junk. Cory/Baylees is a person, not a mega company, no fancy packaging, no fancy website, no high prices. If you need ADA printed on everything, maybe he is not the right choice.
[edited - unnecessary!]

As a Network Admin former web admin/designer I look at that sort of thing plus I know how inexpensive a good site is now a-days so all I was saying was there probably not 'computer' people so do not expect Amazon.com type quality from there site or probably there shipping (as in prompt shipment and tracking #'s).

I'm not positive if that last line was meant as a direct insult or not but I'll assume it's not since I've never bought any ADA products. I tend to go with Fluorite/Eco for smaller tanks and SMS/Turface for larger + PPS-Classic.

- Brad
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradac56 View Post
[edited - unnecessary!]

As a Network Admin former web admin/designer I look at that sort of thing plus I know how inexpensive a good site is now a-days so all I was saying was there probably not 'computer' people so do not expect Amazon.com type quality from there site or probably there shipping (as in prompt shipment and tracking #'s).

I'm not positive if that last line was meant as a direct insult or not but I'll assume it's not since I've never bought any ADA products. I tend to go with Fluorite/Eco for smaller tanks and SMS/Turface for larger + PPS-Classic.

- Brad
Last line wasn't directed at you at all. It is the general, plural *you*. Some people want only fancy brand name stuff. BBB is probably not for them.

He ships USPS and uses Click N Ship. Most recently, I received an email when he shipped, tracking number not included. Which really doesn't matter since it's just Delivery Confirmation and the USPS tracking on Priority is next to useless. He's honest, if he says he shipped... he did. If it didn't arrive in a few days I would simply ask him for the number. And him being a real person, I would get a reply. On my last box I received it less than a week from when I paid for it, same as everything else I have bought from him. He's a good guy, helpful and eager to please. But no, not Amazon.com.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just curious, are Dwarf Sag's able to produce runners in normal pea sized petco gravel?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode