Blue-green rocks, name? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Blue-green rocks, name?

I took these blue green rock off of a used aquarium ornement that I bought on Ebay. Thus they are safe. Anybody know what they are?

Last edited by Hilde; 06-05-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Its really hard to tell from that photo.

It's possible they're just dyed that color. A LFS near me sells lacerock dyed green and blue. You could try scratching one to see if its actually green the entire way through.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Can't say whether the color is natural or not, but they look like granite to me. It ranges in color depending on mineralogy so I guess green could be possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Googled green granite and there is indeed plenty of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you!!

Found that granite is made up of
Quartz --------- grey transparent
potassium------ feldspar alkaline white, pink, blue or non
Mica------------- brown, black
Crystal ----------white black seperate and big 2 to 5 mm
basalk
Gattro

Now I am wondering if it will raise the ph in my tank which is 7.4 to 8.2.
Perhaps letting it sit in a bucket of tank water will tell me the results
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've never heard of granite effecting pH, hardness or alkalinity

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Now I am wondering if it will raise the ph in my tank which is 7.4 to 8.2.
Perhaps letting it sit in a bucket of tank water will tell me the results
no, it will raise it to precisely 8.3472. haha its hard to telll if itll change the pH or not unless you try it. if i were you, i'd get a pH test kit, put the rocks in a bucket of water and test the pH over the course of a few days or weeks.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Granite contains
quartz which is grey transparent
potassium feldspar alkaline which is white, pink, blue

Mica brown which is black
basalk Gattro

What ratios differs per rock. Thus can only tell if it affect ph by testing it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Found this through a quick google - "Water becomes hard by dissolving soluble salts from the rocks or soil over or through which it flows. Some rocks, for example slate, granite, gneiss and schist, contain little or no soluble material and, as such, have a negligible effect." - then there was one site that suggested to stay away from it, that's the first time I've ever heard that, in contrast to the norm, so it goes on the list of many web pages I'll ignore from now on.

Quickest way to tell is scrape the surface and drip some hydrochloric or acetic acid from a liquid nitrate or nitrite test kit and see if it sizzles.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Found Some rocks, for example slate, granite, gneiss and schist, contain little or no soluble material and, as such, have a negligible effect." - then there was one site that suggested to stay away from it.
This makes sense to me for granite is made of several types of rock and it vary per rock.

Quote:
Quickest way to tell is scrape the surface and drip acetic acid from a liquid nitrate test kit and see if it sizzles.
This only show if it has carbonates, like limestone, correct? Granite can also contain potassium feldspar alkaline which makes me think it could raise the ph. If it only slightly does adding sodium bicarbonate should help.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I'm no chemist and that's venturing into areas I'm not that strong in, but as far as I know, hydrochloric acid reacts to calcium carbonate and magnesium, as well as carbonate and bicarbonate. Which ones cause the bulk of the fizz I don't know, a lot of us already know what bicarb does in acid. . I just consider a pass on the fizz test as aquarium safe. I'm sure any 'negligible' or slow reactions will be made truly negligible by routine water changes.

edited typos

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
hydrochloric acid reacts to calcium carbonate and magnesium, as well as carbonate and bicarbonate.
So basically if anything leaches that will affect the water chemistry it will cause a fizzing when acid is dropped onto the rock?

I was concerned for read that the granite has potassium feldspar alkaline in it.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Hi Hilde

Do your rocks look like any of these?

Green Rhyolite

Pyrophyllite

Rhyolite

Felcite

I have seen tons and tons of green rocks that look similar to yours. There is a very old and eroded mountain range near me. It is the Uwharrie Mountains found in the Uwharrie National Forest. According to geologists, the Uwharries were created from an ancient chain of volcanoes. The 1,000-foot hills of today were once 20,000-foot peaks like the Rocky Mountains. They were formed around 500 million years ago when North Carolina was near South America. This is the one of the oldest mountain ranges in North America. Within this mountain range is a very complex geological formation named the Carolina Slate Belt. It extends from Virginia through North and South Carolina and into Georgia. You are in Mapleton, Georgia and your rocks could of been collected from this belt area. I'm in Burlington, NC and I'm in the belt too.

"The Carolina Slate Belt is a 10- to 50-km-wide zone of 450- to 600-million-year-old volcanic and sedimentary rocks extending from Georgia to Virginia (fig. 1). Acid-rich waters in volcanic centers locally altered the bedrock and deposited gold and silver and valuable minerals such as pyrophyllite (an important refractory mineral which can be a green color). Such deposits have been exploited at many localities in the slate belt. Regional mineral and geoenvironmental resource assessments depend on understanding the geology and the potential for undiscovered deposits -- challenging questions in the Carolina slate belt because of the complex geology, deep weathering of the bedrock, and dense vegetation cover over much of the area."
http://rla.unc.edu/Publications/pdf/ResRep25/Ch2.pdf

Another green rock found in the region is Rhyolite. Felsite is also found.
http://www.archaeology.ncdcr.gov/uwh...aniel26am.html
http://www.archaeology.ncdcr.gov/uwh...bbard26am.html

The green rocks that I've seen may or may not be some of the above. The ones that I've seen were found near one of the lakes formed from the Yadkin River which passes through the Uwharries. I'll call the Ranger Station Monday and ask them what they are.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
Pyrophyllite
They look similar to this one. There were part of an ornament that I bought from someone on Ebay in New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
I'll call the Ranger Station Monday and ask them what they are.
That is necessary. Thank you!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Do you see Kim Basinger around town? I used to go to Road Atlanta a lot.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode