ADA AS in 46 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
ADA AS in 46 gallon

Hi everyone!

I am changing up my 46 gallon bowfront. Originally I was thinking that I would get a 75 gallon tank and replace the 46 with that, but due to lack of funds and space I have decided to just update my 46. I am going to put a 150 watt MH pendant over it, and am changing the substrate. Right now the substrate that I have in the tank is Turface pro-league in red. The stuff worked out OK but I am A) tired of the color B) tired of how light the darn stuff is, it won't hold anything down, and C) tired of how cloudy it gets with the slightest disturbance.

I am very tempted by ADA AS, but am extremely worried about the cloudiness issue. I don't want to spend a lot of money on substrate only to have it stay cloudy forever and cloud up a ton any time anything is moved.

I suppose that my other option is eco-complete, but I would love to try something different (have never tried AS before) and want something that will do a little more for the plants than either eco or flourite does, and also lower my high pH.

Opinions much appreciated!! Also, would 3x 9 liter bags cover a 46 bow with a depth of 3"??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
2 9L bags should do i remeber seeing someone say that they covered the bottome of a 29gal at 2" with one bag.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
What are the approximate dimensions of a 46 gallon bowfront?

1. Go to Google.
2. Search: approximate footprint * 3 cubic inches to liters
3. Divide by 9 to get the number of 9L bags you need.

ie: http://www.google.com/search?q=36*18...ches+to+liters
^ that's for my 40 gallon breeder...I'd need ~31 gallons, or a little over 3 bags.

I actually used about 4 bags to get all the sloping I needed, and 4 bags is what I bet it'll take to fill your tank including substrate sloping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbarry View Post
2 9L bags should do i remeber seeing someone say that they covered the bottome of a 29gal at 2" with one bag.
One 9L bag will definitely give you less than 2" of substrate depth.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks epicfish, I was afraid I would need another bag but am not surpised. What is AS like; does it hold plants down? Is it really cloudy? Thanks a lot!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It holds plants relatively well.

Cloudy? Yes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Unhappy

Apparently, the original Amazonia AS will cloud and discolor hard water forever! According to other posts I've read, the Amazonia II is designed to prevent this. OMG I wish I had known this before I completely broke down my little 16gal. to add Amazonia two weeks ago. My water is yellow and cloudy in spite of eight 30% water changes in 13 days, and now what I'm hearing makes me think it will never get any better. I'm now wondering if I dare risk another complete break down to get the AS out. So far I haven't lost any fish, but my plants (except my algae) are suffering from the reduced light, and if it isn't going to clear I might lose them all!! And I thought a small planted tank would be relatively easy...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatoast View Post
Apparently, the original Amazonia AS will cloud and discolor hard water forever! According to other posts I've read, the Amazonia II is designed to prevent this. OMG I wish I had known this before I completely broke down my little 16gal. to add Amazonia two weeks ago. My water is yellow and cloudy in spite of eight 30% water changes in 13 days, and now what I'm hearing makes me think it will never get any better. I'm now wondering if I dare risk another complete break down to get the AS out. So far I haven't lost any fish, but my plants (except my algae) are suffering from the reduced light, and if it isn't going to clear I might lose them all!! And I thought a small planted tank would be relatively easy...
I run over a dozen tanks with ADA AquaSoil I.

The cloudiness and discoloration definitely does NOT last forever.

How did you fill your tank and how are you going about clearing the water up? Have you tried using carbon, a good amount of filter floss, and Purigen? Or better yet a diatom filter?

It's mistakes or inadequate knowledge in the initial setup of ADA AS that leads to long, drawn out problems and inaccurate statements about the product. It's not the easiest substrate to work with, but when set up properly, problems are minimal and the benefits far outweigh said problems.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
I assume you consider Barr to be knowledgeable in this arena. The permanent nature of the problem in a hard water tank is what I read in his post (on his forum). As for filter media, I have used Seachem Renew, Seachem Purigen, and Pura Complete- none has helped in the least.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I have hard water, I seem to remember reading something about AS I and hard water not being a good combination. I guess I will get AS II then, and try that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatoast View Post
I assume you consider Barr to be knowledgeable in this arena. The permanent nature of the problem in a hard water tank is what I read in his post (on his forum). As for filter media, I have used Seachem Renew, Seachem Purigen, and Pura Complete- none has helped in the least.
My tap water in Los Angeles came out at about 12-14 degrees and I had no problem with the constant clouding and tint of my water.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:01 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
We have really hard water here in cave country. My amazonia I doesn't ever cloud my water.

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Jeff Senske has some interesting comments about Amazonia I and Amazonia II.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright, AS I it is, and I will keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for the advice and links everyone

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode