Tips on cleaning Fluorite? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
Tips on cleaning Fluorite?

I'm going to most likely get my mom to buy me some Fluorite for my tank and I know it's notorious for clouding all the water. I have a spare tank to temporarily hold my fish in so I should be good for at most a day. What do you guys do to clean the fluorite and reduce the clouding drastically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcamp12345 View Post
I'm going to most likely get my mom to buy me some Fluorite for my tank and I know it's notorious for clouding all the water. I have a spare tank to temporarily hold my fish in so I should be good for at most a day. What do you guys do to clean the fluorite and reduce the clouding drastically?

http://www.rexgrigg.com/substrate.htm

"Ok, here is the way I wash substrates that need to be washed. Go to the local home improvement store and get a paint strainer that fits over a 5 gallon bucket, if you don't have a 5 gallon bucket get one of those also. Take the strainer and place it over the bucket. Pour about 5 lbs of the substrate in question into the strainer. Use the hose to wash the substrate. Don't use a high pressure sprayer. You don't want or need to break it up just get it clean. Now pull the strainer off the bucket, dump the water and repeat till the water is fairly clear. Using this method will save the “fines” but get rid of the dust. Substrates that benefit from this method are Flourite, Onyx, and plain old sand or gravel."

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamun View Post
Care & Cleaning: Fluorite is quite fragile and must be handled with care. To clean, rub lightly with a soft polishing cloth or use a plain water rinse.
I dont think we are talking about the same flourite, seachem fluorite it's is a specially fracted, stable porous clay, and isn't quite fragile.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourite.html

"Although pre-washed, it may be rinsed before use to remove residual dust. Dust can also be minimized by filling aquarium slowly and dispersing water so that the Flourite™ bed is not disturbed. Slight initial cloudiness is normal and will clear rapidly (2–12 hours). To shorten the cloudiness period use Clarity™ in conjuction with mechanical filtration (such as filter floss)."

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
i'm still a noob, but theres one thing i learned about PT. wash and DRY the flourite!! spread it out in the sun. for some reason that eliminates the dust. even when the bed is disturbed months later.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks guys. the article was good and having it dry out is a great idea.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fish come from real water, with dirt mixed in. A little flourite dust won't hurt them. I've heard of lots people who are unhappy with cloudiness from flourite (not me), but I've yet to hear about someone who lost a fish due to the suspended clay.

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid creole View Post
Fish come from real water, with dirt mixed in. A little flourite dust won't hurt them. I've heard of lots people who are unhappy with cloudiness from flourite (not me), but I've yet to hear about someone who lost a fish due to the suspended clay.
I'm not worried about losing the fish because of the dust. It's just the fact that when I put the substrate in, I want to see what's actually inside it. I've seen lots of pictures of peoples tanks that used fluorite as a substrate and even after rinsing it a couple times prior, it was still a mess.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Planted Member

The flourite dust will settle. But when ever I do a new planting, or really in into the substrate to clean, it gets dusty as hell. If you have a good filter, it'll be gone in less than a day. My fluval 205 usually cleans it out in a couple of hours.

non ducor duco
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcamp12345 View Post
I'm not worried about losing the fish because of the dust. It's just the fact that when I put the substrate in, I want to see what's actually inside it. I've seen lots of pictures of peoples tanks that used fluorite as a substrate and even after rinsing it a couple times prior, it was still a mess.
Patience, young jedi.

Dust there will be. Go away it will.

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can avoid most of the dust if you rinse just the top half inch or so of the Flourite. Then add water so it flows onto a plate of some kind and not directly onto the substrate. I have done that twice and neither time had any more than a very slight haze in the water, which cleared up overnight.

Hoppy
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

alright i FINALLY got fluorite and i saw the bag and was like omg yes its brown and not red. i go to rinse it and of course it was red, just very dusty lolll. i actually like the look of it and i rinsed it for a good hour and dust was still coming out so i decided to just throw it in the tank. so i need some tips on keeping the water as clear as possible because my tank is pretty gross. i have the fish in another 10 gallon tank with a heater. I don't know if i should put them in the tank because you can barely see in there and i don't want them to be stressed or something. just let me know what you did when you added fluorite.

thanks in advance,
nick
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
In one of my tanks, I did 50% water changes and slowly filled the tank back up over a tupperware lid 3 days in a row. I added the fish back the same day, but it is really up to you. If they are good in the 10 gallon, it might be a good idea to wait until you have it planted at least.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
In one of my tanks, I did 50% water changes and slowly filled the tank back up over a tupperware lid 3 days in a row. I added the fish back the same day, but it is really up to you. If they are good in the 10 gallon, it might be a good idea to wait until you have it planted at least.
Thanks. I added them back this morning and suprisingly it's not as cloudy. I never expected this stuff to be so cloudy. I always thought people were just over exaggurating. Obviously I was wrong. lol
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I think you can also over rinse the stuff. I have found that to be my problem more often than not. Last time I just dumped it in and did the water changes. How are the fish?

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I think you can also over rinse the stuff. I have found that to be my problem more often than not. Last time I just dumped it in and did the water changes. How are the fish?
I think they like the change. At first the tetras were shoaling really tightly together along with the barbs. The cories acted the same way and now the water is pretty much clear. Everything is back in order and once i get more plants next weekend, I think they'll really enjoy it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode