Flourite substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Flourite substrate

So I know a lot of people have used Flourite substrate... I'm currently using eco complete. Which do you guys think is better? I was thinking about switching them out.

My local Petsmarts have a great deal on Flourite right now... 15 dollars a bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very good price on the Flourite. I am using eco complete so can't offer much help on the Flourite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you like the look of Flourite it is a very good substrate, but don't expect it to provide any nutrients for the plants. It apparently has a good CEC, so it does help hold nutrients on the surface of the particles so plant roots have easy access to them.

Hoppy

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Funny people say the same thing about Eco Complete. But yet I've always grown plants in it just fine.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think it really boils down to personal preference. I have only used flourite as my substrate of choice with any of my tanks thus far. I do plan to venture out and use others with my current project though. Thru out the years, what I gather of the two, is that they are fairly equal in terms of benefits to a planted tank. I typically hear (2) draw backs for Eco. 1) its light and some plants have issues staying put and 2) its not uniform in size. The only draw back I hear of flourite is the fact that its fairly dirty and has to be rinsed a lot. There have been many people that don't rinse flourite at all and just fill the tank slowly while limiting disturbing to the substrate as much as possible.

There are several different flourite versions out there and not all have the same CEC. I believe the original flourite is said to be the one with the best CEC. I have always used flourite red and grew plants fairly well with just the Seachem line. The red is one of the flourite's that is fairly dusty so a rinse would probably be wise with it. A week ago I just setup my first tank on my rack project using flourite dark. Nice color and not as dusty as the red in my opinion. I also have flourite original and black sand that I will setup at a later date.

As far as price, that it a good deal. I have order from Dr. Foster before and they were about $25 bucks with free shipping if you order so many. I have also purchased from Amazon and since I am prime member, shipping is free. Not all flourite's will cost the same though. The prices do vary but at $15 bucks, no matter what the color is, that's a good deal.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I've used both Flourite and EcoComplete.

I greatly prefer the color and texture of Flourite. It gives a jungle tank a more natural look and feel. However, it'll cloud your tank like crazy unless well rinsed. Eco, on the other hand, doesn't create any sort of cloudiness; which is an incredible boon.

Does anyone, familiar with long term use of Flourite, have anything to say about it softening/breaking apart? I've heard it'll turn into mush after some time.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I've used both Flourite and EcoComplete.

I greatly prefer the color and texture of Flourite. It gives a jungle tank a more natural look and feel. However, it'll cloud your tank like crazy unless well rinsed. Eco, on the other hand, doesn't create any sort of cloudiness; which is an incredible boon.

Does anyone, familiar with long term use of Flourite, have anything to say about it softening/breaking apart? I've heard it'll turn into mush after some time.
+1, definitely rinse Flourite well before adding it, otherwise you'll have a cloudy tank for two days.
As for the mush, I've never had mine go to mush and that's all I use... Anyone else???

12 gallon long rimless | 40 gallon super planted atomic energy driven | 60 gallon tall Lake Travis | 45 gallon recently struck by tragedy - solenoid malfunction dumped in a tank CO2 very rapidly (moment of silence) | 75 gallon cichlid | all tanks planted sump tanks

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I've had it in tanks for 4+ years without any issues at all. I love the stuff, though I am liking the look of the Black Diamond medium I just started even more.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i have not used flourite yet, but I have used eco-complete on 2 of my tanks with no complaints at all (co2/EI/high light).

will be trying flourite on my new 3g bookshelf in the next couple of weeks.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
I have it in a tank that's been set up - or at least containing water - since before I joined here. No mush.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've used Fluorite for years. When filling the last tank 5 years ago, I DID NOT RINSE the fluorite & used a dish and slowly filled the tank. Water was cloudy for a bit, but not long.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've actually recently decided to switch over to Seachem Flourite substrate. They have a pretty good deal on amazon for the original substrate. I got 3 bags for 50 bucks with optional free shipping. Not sure if this will be enough for my 55 though.

I've heard a lot of good things about Flourite though and I actually like the looks of it quite a bit compared to Eco.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
you might need more, but you can add it later. Just fill tank slowly onto a dish as to not disturb Fluorite. tank will be cloudy but will clear.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I did actually just pickup 3 bags of it from Petsmart since they were the same price. I do plan on rinsing it though. But when I add it to the tank, I will be very careful not to disturb it. I do run 2 Aquaclear 70 filters so hopefully that will clear up any excess in no time.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 03:58 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to babynemo
I have a ten gallon with Eco Complete and a ten gallon with Flourite right beside each other. So far I'm liking Flourite more, but that's just because I can't see crap on the substrate, where as in the Eco Complete tank I can see everything.

I guess it's just personal preference. Even though I like my Flourite tank more, I would get a tank with Eco Complete for the black colour.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode