miracle gro organic choice potting mix questions! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (1/100%)
miracle gro organic choice potting mix questions!

So i searched and havent seen much about it. a lot of online reviews and stuff on the potting mix say it contains like gnats and other bugs more often than not along with being moldy at times. There are no places locally that carry it so id probably have to order a bag off of amazon, but im worried about the bugs. does anyone have any tips/advice on this or any like other recommendations for dirt? i dont want bugs crawling out of my dsm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Lowe's website says that the Quincy, MA store has it in stock, as does the Weymouth store.

Presumably you'll be capping this dirt with something, then saturating the mess entirely. There's no good reason to think that even if you did wind up with gnats in your bag that they'd survive any length of time underwater and buried. In any case, I have to think that any decent topsoil or potting soil is going to do the job for this - it just needs to be clean and pesticide free.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
Lowe's website says that the Quincy, MA store has it in stock, as does the Weymouth store.

Presumably you'll be capping this dirt with something, then saturating the mess entirely. There's no good reason to think that even if you did wind up with gnats in your bag that they'd survive any length of time underwater and buried. In any case, I have to think that any decent topsoil or potting soil is going to do the job for this - it just needs to be clean and pesticide free.
really O.o i checked the miracle grow site and it showed no local places that carry it. interesting. the thing is if i dry start it wouldnt be submerged, but simply like wet and i dont know if the insects will thrive in that or not

Last edited by xxoczukxx; 06-13-2015 at 04:37 AM. Reason: added info

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 11:45 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
A few months ago people were talking about MGOCPM being discontinued and replaced by Nature's Choice. Don't know if it's true or not, but you can check with your local store to confirm. If discontinued, there may be a few stores that might have it. This would explain why the Lowe's website says they have it in stock, but the MG doesn't.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=nature+choice

Last edited by orreay; 06-13-2015 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Adding in an additional thought
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orreay View Post
A few months ago people were talking about MGOCPM being discontinued and replaced by Nature's Choice. Don't know if it's true or not, but you can check with your local store to confirm. If discontinued, there may be a few stores that might have it. This would explain why the Lowe's website says they have it in stock, but the MG doesn't.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=nature+choice
I was one of those that stated they are being discontinued. When I went to pick up a few extra bags a month or so ago, that is what the garden associate told me. That is why I walked away with 5 bags for free. I did a thread here, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...513&highlight= on its replacement if you care to see the product that is suppose to replace it. You can probably still find some of the orange bags around until the surplus is completely gone. At the store I purchased from, they are on to the new product though.

As far as gnats, I do have them in my dsm. If not gnat, is some type of little bugs. Perhaps I will put them under the microscope and post the result. I am not sure if they were already in the bags, or if they just got in from outside and made a home in my tank. Now the dsm I have is all MG without a cap as they are my grow out tanks. You can see them in my planted journal. I have another dsm that is for an actual setup that is capped with flourite. I have not noticed gnats/bugs in there. One thing I can say is that for my grow out, once I spray down the MG every 4-5 days, I see alot of little bugs jumping around. So I would assume, with a flooded tank, they will just become part of the substrate and break down for the plants. For my capped dsm, gnats/bugs more than likely perished as they can't access the surface.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flight50; 06-14-2015 at 01:18 AM. Reason: -
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

Using this in mine because I couldn't find the orange bag. Pretty much the same stuff. I did sift it to remove any large pieces of debris. Capped it with eco-complete, all is going well so far. On week two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434245829536.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	485257  

From the depths of my substrate!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
I was one of those that stated they are being discontinued. When I went to pick up a few extra bags a month or so ago, that is what the garden associate told me. That is why I walked away with 5 bags for free. I did a thread here, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...513&highlight= on its replacement if you care to see the product that is suppose to replace it. You can probably still find some of the orange bags around until the surplus is completely gone. At the store I purchased from, they are on to the new product though.

As far as gnats, I do have them in my dsm. If not gnat, is some type of little bugs. Perhaps I will put them under the microscope and post the result. I am not sure if they were already in the bags, or if they just got in from outside and made a home in my tank. Now the dsm I have is all MG without a cap as they are my grow out tanks. You can see them in my planted journal. I have another dsm that is for an actual setup that is capped with flourite. I have not noticed gnats/bugs in there. One thing I can say is that for my grow out, once I spray down the MG every 4-5 days, I see alot of little bugs jumping around. So I would assume, with a flooded tank, they will just become part of the substrate and break down for the plants. For my capped dsm, gnats/bugs more than likely perished as they can't access the surface.
i think the gnats are like little flies. they kinda look like small mosquitos from what i read
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxoczukxx View Post
i think the gnats are like little flies. they kinda look like small mosquitos from what i read
So are you going to cap it??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_a View Post
So are you going to cap it??
cap the dirt?? ofc.... im not trying to get a muddy fish tank...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode