FW: Substrate for Floating Plants & Inverts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
FW: Substrate for Floating Plants & Inverts

Hello all!

I'm looking to try another round at my 15g Aqueon column tank. Previous iteration was when I was fairly new into the hobby and let's just say it did not go well. This tank is a bit of a challenge to keep, especially with sand!

So the gameplan, make a bit of a pond/bog cutaway for either CPO or a single clarkii with the crayfish taking center stage at the bottom and the plant roots breaking up the space. Here comes stocking to help give an idea!

Tank:
Aqueon 15g column (13.6" x 13.8" x 24.8")

Live Critter Stocking:
4 CPO or 1 clarkii cray or 1 red rust cray
MTS

Plants (what?!):
Duckweed (small, not giant)
Frogbit
May try a rotala rotundifolia

Lighting:
Stock lighting AND
Marineland LED Strip (http://www.marineland.com/Products/aquarium-lighting/LED-Aquarium-Lighting/freshwater-aquarium-led-light.aspx)^ already have it

Filtration:
Up in the air. Leaning toward two double-inlet sponge filters (recent convert to the Church of Sponge)

Substrate:
????

The plan is to get something in here, ideally as a species only or lone inhabitant and in a way that can break up the large empty vertical space. I absolutely love crayfish and wanted to give one a proper and comfortable home. Rooted plants would be a great addition but the cray would likely devour them. Fish could draw the eyes away but the tank has poor horizontal space and when they sleep....well crays like to eat!

Floating plants! Give a great boggy looks and the roots will help break the empty space. Call me crazy but I am actually one of those weirdos who loves duckweed. Here is my question - substrate. Well a few questions.

Will a nutrient rich substrate provide anything to floating plants via degradation of the soil?

Or will they be sustained simply by the waste and bacteria provided by the cray and food?

Sand is absolutely out of the question, if a nutrient enriched soil is used, will the copper be an issue? I've read quite a few reviews about stray large diameter bits of copper being in the substrate mix.

Since I will be dosing calcium and iodine, would a basic small diameter gravel be fine?

If anyone can give me some help I'd be very grateful! The tank has been sitting for two weeks with just the driftwood setup taking space until I can get some substrate direction.

Thank you!

Last edited by YogiBear257; 06-09-2015 at 04:45 PM. Reason: updated plant names
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bumpity bump
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm still relatively new, so take my input with granted. But from what I've read I'd trade out that Marineland LED Hoodlight if you want to grow plants, I've not heard anything good about those.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Will a nutrient rich substrate provide anything to floating plants via degradation of the soil?

Or will they be sustained simply by the waste and bacteria provided by the cray and food?

Sand is absolutely out of the question, if a nutrient enriched soil is used, will the copper be an issue? I've read quite a few reviews about stray large diameter bits of copper being in the substrate mix.
Floating plants will get nutrients that are released into the water column from nutrient rich substrates. Floaters should also be able to be sustained simply by the waste and bacteria provided by the cray and food.

I personally had a tub with a non nutrient rich black sand substrate with just snails in there and never dosed any ferts and such and the floaters all grew out of control.

Keep in mind, flouters generally gain nutrients that are in the water column as they aren't planted down.

As for the copper in enriched soil...I never ran into any issues with the copper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrammer252 View Post
I'm still relatively new, so take my input with granted. But from what I've read I'd trade out that Marineland LED Hoodlight if you want to grow plants, I've not heard anything good about those.
The lighting should be fine as YogiBear257 isn't planning to do much plants that require better lighting. The floating plants will be floating and be close to the light source so I don't see the lighting being too big of an issue.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwei View Post
Floating plants will get nutrients that are released into the water column from nutrient rich substrates. Floaters should also be able to be sustained simply by the waste and bacteria provided by the cray and food.

I personally had a tub with a non nutrient rich black sand substrate with just snails in there and never dosed any ferts and such and the floaters all grew out of control.

Keep in mind, flouters generally gain nutrients that are in the water column as they aren't planted down.

As for the copper in enriched soil...I never ran into any issues with the copper.

The lighting should be fine as YogiBear257 isn't planning to do much plants that require better lighting. The floating plants will be floating and be close to the light source so I don't see the lighting being too big of an issue.
Thanks for the input and that is a welcome not ethat release will occur into the water column. Loving the look of the eco-complete and this lake-mix coloring I found.

Tbh, my biggest concern with the lighting was burning the plants due to proximity. I am running the stock lid within the hood and a Marineland LED bar. The marineland is easily removeable but my biggest concern was whether the stock light would be too close and burn. I'm planning on dropping the water level about 3-4 inches below the light.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll likely pick up some substrate on the way home and begin the rest of prep!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Planted Member

You should be fine with the hood lighting.

My dwarf water lettuce and other floaters never burnt due to being a inch (maybe less) away from my t8 lights.

However, the water wisteria that I left floating that decided to shoot branches up and above the water line and literally touch the bulbs burnt, lol.

But, since you are doing duckweed and frogbits you should be fine as those don't really grow vertically like the wisteria. If you want to stay on the safe side, just try to raise the light up higher or lower the water level, which you are already planning to do so you should be good to go!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Excellent info! I was thinking I had to really drop water level (could've sword I saw 6 inches somewhere) so it is a relief your T8s didn't burn/ My little baby bulbs should have no issue.

Daddy gonna go get him some goodies today!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Planted Member

lol, how much room will there be from the waterline to the light? and 6 inches is a bit drastic from my opinion

however, I did forget to add that the t8s are the LED t8s not the normal type!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am looking at about 3-4 inches from the lights. I'm planning on ducking out of work early to check out the LFS near my new workplace (hooray!) so I can give a better number once I'm home.

3 is most likely since the more volume of water I have, the more those roots can feather down
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Planted Member

Ah, you should be fine then...if anything, just keep a close eye on the floaters and if you start to notice the plants getting burnt, just lower the water level or raise the lights and you'll be fine
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a plenty, mwei!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Planted Member

np! good luck with the tank and have fun!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mix of Ecocomplete (black) but very heavy Cichlid Mix (rift lake) went in. High calcium and a mix of nutrients from the eco.

After a month or so I'll be adding a few nano fish twmporarily. I am very curious about waste buildup in the shells of the substrate!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode